Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Been to a dollar store lately?

The first time I ever heard of a dollar store was back in the early 90's.  My best friend was always raving about them so I tagged along one day to one in Pasadena, Texas. For those not familiar with Texas it is a suburb of Houston where most of the oil & gas refineries are located.

These were owned by foreign immigrants from Pakistan, India and the middle east.  They were mom and pop outfits and you pretty much got your dollars worth.  Then came the chains Dollar Tree, 99 cents only store, etc. with their china made products.

I used to get such bargains at 99 Cents Only stores but now it is just a bunch of pardon my french, crap!!   The bottles have gotten smaller or they have reduced the quantity.  I always found Sara Lee bread, 5 lb bag of potatoes or large brown eggs and these days I can never find anything worth buying.

There are the other dollar stores still owned by foreigners Giant Dollar and Dollar King but nothing is a dollar anymore, now $1.09 or some items cost much more.

Today pretty much ran around all day so I could get all the things that I needed.  Even found my fold in half 4 foot table for my upcoming trip to Terlingua.  They had ran out of them in Del Rio back in July and never re-stocked up on them.

Was going to load the car tonight but the hoodlums from across the street are outside drinking and who knows what else.  Will try to get up before dawn so the Town Crier wont see me and then inform the whole neighborhood I have left.

My back is still hurting and believe it or not I am dying of sleep.  So good night my cyber friends I am going to get some shut eye and catch me some Terlingua Dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.