Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Looking forward to my trip

When I am feeling down or “life” gets in the way I find great comfort in looking at pictures of events and happy moments and it undoubtedly makes me feel better.  Tonight is no exception to the rule.  Was looking at last years pictures of my trip to my favorite place in the whole wide world and I found the picture up above.

El Dia de Los Muertos (Day of the Dead) is a Mexican celebration that has become a tradition in many Texas towns and Terlingua is one such town.  The couple up above are husband and wife and each year they dress up for the occasion.  I had read about this event from Ara and Spirit  http://theoasisofmysoul.com/ but I did not get a chance to attend until last year.  If you have the opportunity to go by all means do so.  It takes place on November 2nd just before sunset but due to limited parking try to get there an hour before.











They usually post signs around town and ask that you bring a potluck plate as well as chairs and your own beer.  They also have a small bonfire.  What I really wanted to see was all the tombs lit at sundown but since I was riding with someone else I unfortunately had to leave before that happened.

In Mexican tradition families go to the cemetery and bring the favorite food and drink of the deceased and leave it for him as an offering while they also eat by their loved ones tomb.  The exception to the rule is if your loved one died as a child, then it is celebrated on November 1st.

One thing I found intriguing was why all the tombs had coins (dimes, nickles, quarters) and when I asked they told me it was to pay for their "crossing to the other side".

Good night may you have Terlingua Dreams.

6 comments:

  1. I like where dead people live, but I ain't gonna celebrate their demise.
    Love old graveyards. Make ya feel like liv'n.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Billy Bob - celebrating the life of your departed loved ones is something many people like to do rather than dwelling in their passing. Different strokes for different folks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ara and Spirit what an honor to have you for a visit :)

    I am doing fine but not as well as you two. I am in honest to goodness envy of that great e-camper you got. Congratulations!!!

    Thank you for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FYI, Mark F Barnes is using your photographs and claiming them as his own, even going as far as to Add his own watermark to your photos. His FB is https://www.facebook.com/offthebeatenpath2/photos/a.1014978481874570.1073741840.987496444622774/1103221919716892/?type=3&theater

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.