Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A Man’s Word

Last time I was in Houston was back in September and as you might recall if you were reading this dribble back then was that I was sick as a dog.  I have an electric lawn mower and it doesn’t cut well when the grass is high.  I mowed the front yard pretty good to keep from getting a love letter from the homeowners association.  I did not do a good job on the backyard and since the HOA can’t see the backyard I was not too concerned about it at the time.

Fast forward two and a half months and you can imagine what my backyard looks like now.  As soon as I saw it I knew I had to hire someone.  The neighbor on the corner has a yardman and I asked him for his telephone number.  Called the man Friday and he assured me he would be here today.  Even made him take down my phone number so he could call me in case he could not come. You guess it…he did not show up nor did he call.  I called him a while ago and he said, “He did not feel well today” when I asked him why he did not call me, he said, “he forgot”.  He assured me he will be here tomorrow…I won’t hold my breath on that one.

There is no way I can tackle this with my little eletric mower

This Grasshog is the best weedeater I have ever owned but it bit the dust a year ago and the new models pale by comparison. 

My father always told me that a man had to honor his word and just because I was a woman did not mean I was exempt from that rule.  I can still hear him telling me “don’t ever give your word and then not keep it, a person without a word is not worth a plugged nickel and you would be disgracing your mother and I if you did so.”  So why do I keep running into people that don’t keep their word?

Yard work is seasonal, I would have imagined he would be glad to have a new customer.  Will give him the benefit of the doubt…

It was a cloudy and gray day.  Spent most of it cleaning and sorting through stuff.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

6 comments:

  1. MsBelinda, I think you might have a cash crop in your backyard. I too remember a day when you word and a handshake were a bond, not so much any more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Joe, I think I could get a bale of hay out of my backyard :D

    Sadly your word and a handshake no longer carry the same connotation of yesteryear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. B:

    People don't have the same work ethic like they did years ago.

    I had an employee that I hired straight out of esthetics school, she was 52 years old with no experience, and I knew she would never be able to find a job in the industry. I hired her because I figured she would be a loyal employee. I invested a lot of time training her, and even paid her top commission to make sure she would stick around.

    After a year she was making a really good salary...and decided to text me one morning saying that she no longer would be working for me...(so much for 2 weeks notice). Took all my clients, and lied to them and told them I was closing that shop.

    People are not loyal. They lie, steal from you, and don't show up to mow your lawn when they promise they will. Hope you find a good one to take care of your lawn...

    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  4. The young people of today just flat don't have the work ethics, or ethics in general as we and our parents did.
    Don't know who's to blame , first choice of course is the parents. Then Teachers? But considering they grew up with the likes of Bill Clinton. What ethics lessons have they learned? There aren't any hero's to look up to any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terry sorry to hear about your experience with that former employee. Some people can be so ungrateful and bite the hand of those who feed them. I will never understand why people do that. Here you are offering them an opportunity and they are just out to get you.

    The man finally showed up yesterday which is a good thing because it is currently raining and will be raining for the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ben the yardman was not a youngester, he was in his 50's. Remember my "worthless mechanic" he is in his late 60's or early 70's and so many more people I have had the misfortune of hiring and who have not completed the job, or done the job but half ass. It is a though some people just don't take pride in their work anymore or simply have no work ethic.

    I blame the parents. Ethics, morals, good behavior are things that one should learn at home. I do not hold teachers accountable they have enough in their plate as is.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.