Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Virginian

For some inexplicable reason I have been going to bed before eleven o’clock and waking up at five o’clock in the morning.  Of course today that I needed to be at Target when they opened, true to form, I woke up late.  One good thing about Houston, if the store you are at does not have it, you can always drive to another location.  Took me three stores but I finally tracked down what I needed.

 Kroger (local grocery store) offers a .03 cent reduction on your gas purchase if you have a store card.  The closest store to my house does not have a gas station so decided to stop and fill up at $2.96 a gallon at a Kroger I do not frequent and that was across the street from Target.  I needed cereal so went in to buy it and got in line in the express check out. There was an elderly gentlemen in front of me in one of those electrical store cars for handicap people and he had more than the allowed 10 items, no big deal I was not in a hurry and at his age he deserves to get in whatever line he chooses.  The cashier, a girl in her late 20’s was very nice and attentive toward him and had to repeat some things to him since he obviously had a hearing problem.  The guy bagging the groceries was equally attentive and offered to help him to his car but he declined and said he could manage.

The guy bagging the groceries was not a “ bag boy” he was older, nicely dressed and looked to be one of the store managers.  He told her “ do you know who that is?” She said “No”.  He told her he was _____(blank failed to catch the name).  She responded that she did not know who that was.  Then he said he used to be in “The Virginian”.  She replied she had never seen the show but perhaps her dad would know him or her husband since he was into westerns.

Now I have to admit that I never even heard of that show.  As a kid the only westerns that I used to watch was Bonanza and Big Valley.  So I hurried outside to get a better look at him without being too obvious.  He was parked in front of the store in the handicap section but he was busy arranging his trunk and had his back toward me so I did not get a look at his face.  Ran to my car and got my camera and drove by slowly but as you can see, it is not a good picture. 


He had his trunk raised and he appeared to have a suitcase as well as other items inside


Wish he had looked up so I could of gotten a shot of his face

He was reading something and gave the impression that he was waiting for someone who was still inside the store.

 Wanted to welcome Suerte for signing on as a blog follower.  Thank you.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

4 comments:

  1. Well, with out a face shot , hard to tell who it was. Could have been
    Clu Gulager or Doug McClure
    A check at Internet Movie Data base showed that the other major players have died.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben I looked up the show but the pictures they had were of back in the day so hard to tell who it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I think it's James Drury. He is still alive and working. Taken from his website: "James Drury, now 77, and Carl Ann, his wife of over 30 years, reside in Houston, TX. Not considering himself in the least bit as retired, he has an extensive traveling schedule to Western Events, Festivals and Autograph Shows across the country speaking about the West and how cowboy values shaped our country and how those values still hold true to those who will adhere to them. He is always on the lookout for a good film project to sink his teeth into."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bel!! Bet it was him.

    You should of seen the manager, he was very excited. Perhaps Mr. Drury is a regular customer at that Kroger.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.