Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Friday, January 6, 2012

Company

Got up early this morning and started cleaning house as we were expecting company.  In between cleaning I also managed to do three loads of laundry.  It turned out to be a beautiful day in the low 70’s and wanted to take advantage of it before lower temperatures and rain move in later on this week.

At four o’clock we pretty much decided that perhaps her company was not going to show so mother went to take a nap and I went to start her mini van before the battery dies.  This is the car the worthless mechanic “fixed” and whose brakes failed when I was on my way to the DPS office. Just then mom’s friends drove up so had to make a mad dash inside the house to wake her up.

One of the ladies had moved out of town and we had not seen her in about five years.  It was great to see her again.  Today we found out the reason her friend had moved back to Del Rio was because she was diagnosed with breast cancer.  Learned that the lady that drove her to the house is a breast cancer survivor as well.

I had not blogged about this because I do not like to do ''downer posts" unless there is a reason for it (like the recent four elderly deaths).  However this week I have had bad news on two fronts.  On Tuesday we called a very dear friend in Argentina and found out that her daughter who is a year younger than I, has cancer and her prognosis is not good.  Then yesterday a good friend of mine called crying early in the morning to let me know that her brother had passed away after a long battle with this horrible disease.

Mother too is a cancer survivor and is thankfully in remission.  My question is WHY is cancer so prevalent now days?  In my grandparent’s days did it not exist or did people just not know about it?  It seems more and more people we know (mostly elderly widows) are getting diagnosed with this life sucking disease. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend and may you enjoy doing whatever it is that makes you happy and brings joy to your heart.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

4 comments:

  1. That is horrible about all the caner issues. I know for a fact that "some" cancers are hereditary while some are not. As you may remember Ann's Dad died of cancer and she didn't do the screening and sure nuff time it was discovered it was too late.
    You HAVE to have a regular screening with a Doctor and he has to know your family background .


    As to why is there more cancer now you ask. I doubt there is , we just have better ways of diagnosis these days.

    I am truly sorry for your family's news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear of all the bad news. I lost my youngest stepdaughter to breast cancer. The doctor knew a lump was there and refused to remove it because he said it wasn't malignant. It turned out to be later. She had already lost two aunts to breast cancer. She left behind a 9 year old daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben in my mom's case we do not have any idea why she got lung cancer. She has NEVER smoked or been around smokers and there is no history of cancer in her family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an incompetent doctor to not have removed the tumor especially with a history of breast cancer in the family.

    I am so sorry to hear that Dave. It is heart breaking that she had to leave such a young child behind.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.