Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

My Cyber Journal

I have always been the type of person that likes to keep a written record of events in my life. I was 9 years old when I purchased and began writing my first diary. Would carry my little keys with me on a chain at all times so no one would decide to read it apart from the fact that I would hide my diary in different locations.

I faithfully wrote a daily entry until I was sixteen.  Only reason I quit was because it was now too dangerous to have someone get a hold of my written journal and read my thoughts and feelings.  Not that there was anything out of the ordinary that was going on in my life. However, I don’t think parents want to read about what their 16-year-old teenagers are up to and I was not going to give them the opportunity either.

When I became an adult I took up writing a journal again but only of special events in my life. When Wal-Mart had their back to school specials, I would purchase a box of spiral notebooks which back then sold for a nickel each.  When computers became commonplace I started writing on those. I still have those huge black floppies along with disks that you would need an old computer with the accompanying old software to read.  Glad I never got rid of my Wal-mart spiral notebooks.

Computers can crash, be lost or stolen.  Spiral notebooks can end up in unopened boxes in the attic, storage spaces or burn in a fire.  That is the main reason why I decided to start a blog.  Another reason being that I now suffer from C.R.S. (Can’t Remember S#*t) syndrome and wherever I am in the world or in the great State of Texas I can easy access the data from any computer.  Provided that Blogger does not go under then I can pretty much be assured that I will have a cyber record of my life until I die or decide to quit writing.

My journal writing is a running joke in Terlingua.  My friends will say “ Oh no, she is going to write it in her journal”.  Thank heavens for my written records or I would not remember half of what has gone on in the past sixteen Cook-off’s.

11 comments:

  1. Well, I am glad that you decided to throw that key away and share your life.
    All my spiral "diary" journals are back there in a drawer. Good reading when ya get down in the dumps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way blogger keeps screwing up you have a real good chance of loosing some of it. (Hopefully never all of it!) Might be a good idea to keep a backup on a thumb drive, but even those crash. Also glad you decided to start sharing online.

      Delete
    2. Glad you are updating with more shared stories. and YES on the back ups ( I started saving mine here a month at a time)

      Delete
    3. How would a person back up blog posts? It's not like your posts are saved to your computer ya know. Although I would like to save all of mine from the last couple three years.

      Delete
    4. BB, you can do it by cutting and pasting each blog thread in Open Office Write (If you have it) and its free if you don't. Save each one to a flash drive or where ever. Microsoft word will probably do it to (If you have it), but it costs if you don't. Of course republishing it as a blog on Blogger could be a real challenge.

      Delete
    5. That's right Billy Bob, those spiral notebooks sure are good reading and they never fail to put a smile on my face.

      Delete
  2. The story of your 'journaling history' was wonderful. My story is almost exactly the same! . . .the first little diary with the little key . . . then spiral notebooks in my teenage years (which, just like you, I destroyed for fear that someone might find them) . . . Now I have my yearly tradition of buying a new journal for the coming year. I also kept what I called my "pregnancy and beyond" journals for each of my boys--all about them. All my journals are packed in a box and are on a top shelf in a back room.

    Thanks for the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little Foot I am glad you liked my journal history. Bet your boys will always cherish those journals. That is such a wonderful idea for any expectant mothers out in the cyber world to consider writing a pregnancy journal to gift their children when they are all grown up.

      Delete
  3. 16 cook offs, I'm impressed.
    I want to go with you some time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not know why I can only reply to the first and last message. All the other messages only have a DELETE option...grrrrr!!!!

    Tffnguy- I think you are right with Blogger the way it is, we might loose a lot. I read on your blog where you told us that your thumb drive had crashed too.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.