Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Friday, January 20, 2012

Trip to Mexico

It has been a while since our last trip to Mexico.  I avoid going the last week of November, all of December and the first six days in January.  It is at these times when more people cross at both sides of the border and the traffic congestions can easily rival Houston rush hour traffic.

With the above exceptions we tend to go every month or so.  From my mother’s house going to Mexico is closer than going to Lake Amistad.  For those not familiar with Texas, Del Rio is a border town across from Ciudad Acuna, Coahuila, Mexico.

Many people cross the border to buy groceries, medication, liquor, and cigarettes.  Others visit the hairdresser, barbershops, dentist, optometrist or doctor since these products and services are much cheaper in Mexico.  The peso has not been doing well against the dollar so your US buck goes a lot farther at this time.  Thursday the exchange rate was 13.05 Mexican Pesos to sell dollars and 13.55 Mexican Pesos to buy dollars.


This particular day (Thursday) we went to buy groceries.  By groceries I mean fruits, vegetables, pasta, fresh fish, meat, beans, lentils, rice, candy, cookies and my mom’s favorite freshly baked sweet bread.
  
Ciudad Acuna better known as Acuna has a population of about 135,000 and is one of the few remaining “safe” borders along the Rio Grande.  It cost $3.00 USD to cross to Mexico and $25.00 Mexican Pesos to cross back to the USA.


The toll booths to cross into Mexico.  Notice black wrought iron fence, that is part of the Border Fence, will do a future post on it.

View after paying your toll.

About to enter Mexico

Main street after passing Mexican customs

Main street, there are a lot of bars and curio shops but this is around their siesta time so not much movement.

There are four major grocery stores Gutierrez, Merco, Soriana and newcomer Bodegas Aurrera (owned by Walmart).  Depending on what’s on sale we might hit all four of them but on this day we only went to Bodegas Aurrera and Merco.  I swung by Soriana to take a picture and also to check out the dollar exchange rates.  There is an exchange house adjacent to it that has the best rates that we have found so far while still being in a safe location.






We had no problems crossing back, only had to open my trunk after I declared all that I brought back and he simply looked in my cooler and send us on our way.


8 comments:

  1. Love the pictures in MX. I love going into the local grocery stores. I would probably do it monthly also. Half day shopping, half day drinking:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been waay too long since I've visited the Mexico/Texas border towns. When I lived in Alpine of course it was only about 90 miles.
      When I'd vacation at our condo in South Padre Island we'd often visit Nuevo Progreso . Yep,, been too long,need to get back down.

      Delete
    2. Glad you liked the pictures Lou.

      Delete
  2. Caren and I both paid the $140 or so, each, to get our "Official US CorpGovt" passport CARDS. (not a full blown Passport). But we have not yet made it to "OJ" across from Presidio. This card allows you to travel across up to 25 miles into Mex, without being considered a "terrorist" when you try to cross back into the US.
    I assume you and yo' momma have these too?
    B'foot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have full blown passports Bigfoot. When the so called "terrorist threat" came about they required them for land travel back to the US. It wasnt until about five years o so that the passport cards became an option.

      Delete
  3. I am really getting pissed off. I am using Google Chrome just like Blogger wants yet I can't respond to each comment like I should be able to.

    My response to Lou's comment came out in Ben's box and I can't respond to Ben because I only have the DELETE option for him.

    I know Blogger is free but please FIX IT for once and for all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MsB, I have had trouble with posting as well, and am about to scream!
    We've been too chicken to go across the border since all the killing started, your a brave woman!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suerte - Acuna is still a "safe" border if it were not I would NEVER take my mother there. I have given her the option of staying home and she has turned me down.

    I however do NOT have an option as I have no medical insurance. Doctors and dentists are hundred times cheaper there than in our own country.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.