Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Telephone Etiquette

All my real life friends as well as my internet ones know that I am a night owl.  I have no problem getting telephone calls late at night usually from my not so sober friends that are making their way home from some beer joint and want to fill me in on the latest gossip of our mutual acquaintances.  That does not mean that when the telephone rings that late at night I don’t get a kind of sick feeling knowing that something might be wrong.

However I have a problem with people that call past 10:00 p.m. and with whom I do not have a close relationship with.  The phone rang tonight a little after 11:00 p.m. saw my Houston neighbors name (the town crier) on the caller I.D. and immediately picked it up.  You know what they did?  They hung up on me!!  Is it too much to say, “sorry I got the wrong number” or “I dialed your number by mistake?”

I went into a panic because I was burglarized three years ago. Let me tell you, one never gets over arriving at your home to find the front door ajar and everything ransacked.  All kinds of thoughts went through my mind…did someone just break-in, did my house catch on fire?

Waited what I considered a prudent time to give them a chance to call back.  I could feel my blood pressure rising and this is not a good thing.  Finally broke down and decided the hell with the late hour I was going to call them back.  Did so and since it was a cell phone it went to their voice mail.  I left a message but I have yet to hear back from them.  The name on the caller ID was her husband’s but I think her son has the same name and the cell phone number is different from the one I have.  So maybe her son who works the night shift dialed me by mistake?

Then I snapped and remembered I have an alarm system and they have not called me, nor has the police or my best friend who is the second person to call in case they cannot locate me.  All this grief caused by an individual who was not courteous enough to say “sorry wrong number”.

At least I hope they dialed me by mistake either way I don’t think I will be having Terlingua Dreams tonight, more like Houston nightmares.

**********************************************************************************

UPDATE - The neighbor lady called me at 9:36 a.m. to say that when she called last night  her cellphone battery ran out.  Was wondering why I had not been home in so long and if my mother was alright.  For this she had to call me after 11:00 p.m. on a weeknight?  I thanked her for her concern but the whole neighborhood knows she is just a gossiper.

3 comments:

  1. I hate it when stuff like that happens to MsB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MsB, you never know, like you said before, could be a mistake, etc, I hate the late night calls too, it's usually not a good call, hang in there, I'm with you too.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.