Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Dark Shadows

Does anyone recall watching the series Dark Shadows?  I used to love that show.  As soon as I got out of school my cousin and I would run home to watch it.  We were kids in elementary school so we were little scary cats and needed someone else to watch it with.  Sometimes I would invite the neighbor kids.

For those too young to remember it was a series about a vampire named Barnabus Collins and his return to present day Collinsport, Maine as a descendent of Barnabus but in actuality it was himself.  When they ended the series in the Austin area, I was so disappointed even more so when someone in school told us that their cousin in some other state was still watching it.

I was so happy when in the 80’s they started to show the series in the Houston area.  This is when VCR’s first came out and they were bulky and expensive so I did not have one.  There was no way I could make it home in Houston traffic to be able to watch it so I would stay after work and watch it in the lunch room.

Even though there was still daylight and I was no longer a kid, it was still scary.  The Vice President would also stay late and he decided to play a joke on me by sneaking up behind me while I was watching it.  I screamed my lungs out and let me tell you if there is something I can do, is scream and very loudly.  His joke backfired and I ended up scaring him…he never did it again!

Then the Home Shopping Network bought out that channel and once again I was left hanging.  In the 90’s they showed it on the Sci-Fi channels but since I did not have cable I had my mom tape it for me.  She would forget to change the tape so I missed a lot of shows.  Yesterday I started to watch some of them and by golly, they are still scary and they gave me nightmares, lol.

It’s funny how some shows can trigger so many memories and take you back to another more innocent time and era.

6 comments:

  1. I remember that show,wuz a good one,now why is it i can't remember where i put things,LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say it is because our long term memory is not affected like our short term one...whomever "they" are.

      Delete
  2. I remember it and remember hearing that it was a hot series for collage students. I never did watch a full show though. Just don't care about vampire shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First time I hear it was a hot series for college students but I am not surprised.

      If you had watched a show (they were only 30 minutes) I am sure you would of liked it. Barnabus did not show up until the second year.

      Delete
  3. I must confess to loving Barnabus Collins and Dark Shadows way back when. All the original episodes are available on DVD next month before the release of the NEW MOVIE!!! I can't wait to see what kind of vampire Johnny Depp will make!

    Dark Shadows Movie (2012)
    www.reelz.com/movie/233735/dark-shadows/
    Feb 16, 2012 – Dark Shadows (2012) Trailer, Review, Video Clips, Interviews, Starring Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfeiffer, Helena Bonham Carter, Eva Green, ...

    the rat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Mr. Rat, I had no idea they were going to release a movie based on Dark Shadows!! Now I am really going to have to go to the movies.

      Though I must confess I am still a scary cat...will have to drag one of my friends to hold my hand during the movie, lol :D

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.