Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Bargain Hunting

One of the things that I miss most about not living in Houston is the great deals that can be had here as opposed to where I currently reside.  The reason being that there is so much competition here be it from grocery stores, sporting good stores, clothing stores, etc. etc. you name it and it can be had at a much lower price and usually in just as good or better craftsmanship.

Yesterday I went back to .99 Cents Only Store and today I hit CVS Pharmacy and Walgreen’s who had great deals on Revlon lipstick (for Mom and I).   Walgreen’s was cheaper by almost a dollar but CVS had the shades I was looking for, so I won’t complain.


Then I hit Joe V’s…you might be asking yourself…what the heck is Joe V’s?  It is owned by HEB and it is their discount grocery store in Houston.  By now it is probably in other big cities but Houston was the first city in Texas to have them and the store by my house was the first store to be opened here.


They have daily specials located as soon as you walk into the store that is kind of warehouse looking and they only take cash or debit cards…no credit cards in order to keep their prices low.  They carry the HEB label Hill Country Fare.  For example you can buy a can of HCF green beans, corn, peas or mixed vegetables at their regular HEB store for .59 cents a can but at Joe V’s they can be had at 3 cans for $1.00 every day.

All these items can be had at 3 for $1.00 at Joe V's

You can buy bacon for $1.47 but if they happen to have it as a daily special you can purchase it for $1.00.  As you know when I was born the “cooking fairy” skipped me so I only do very simply dishes.  I purchased a 16 hotdog bun package for .98 cents where as in Del Rio they sell the 8 bun package for $1.00…they don’t even carry the 16 bun one or if they do, I have never seen it.

Remember I did a post on Nopales (cactus) when I last went to Mexico?  This vegetable is one of the best you could possibly eat especially if you have diabetes, high cholesterol, osteoporosis or digestive problems just to name a few.  Last month when I was here they had a Lent special on 15.5 oz jars at 3/ 1.00 guess they bought a lot and I was able to purchase more at the same low price.  Call me “crazy” if you may but I purchased $20.00 dollars worth…yes that is 60 jars worth, which is a bargain when you have high cholesterol and regular medication (Crestor) sells for close to $200.00 for a 30-day supply.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

6 comments:

  1. Sure wish there was a store like that around here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish you had one too. When I went to the cookoff I could not believe the prices you guys have to pay for things down there!

      Delete
  2. Me too, never knew HEB did that. We ARE getting a new Alco here, never been in one, so don't know what all it is. Supposed to be like a small Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been to an Alco either. You will have to do a post when it opens and let us know how it compares to the other stores in the area.

      Delete
  3. I think they have super ALCOs, but they are few and far between. The one in Alpine might be compared to a very small Walmart, but they only carry non perishable foods something like the dollar stores. I usually just go in the grocery and dollar stores and stay out of there unless I think they may have something I need and no one else does. Don't look for it to be too great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I have always seen the ALCO in Alpine but don't laugh ok?...I thought it was some kind of feed store for the ranchers in the area...jajajaja

      Don't ask me where I got that from as I do not have a clue :D

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.