Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Trip Downtown

It rained again yesterday so I could not mow the lawn.  Had not gotten around to reading my e-mails in over a week so did that as well as read my snail mail.  Back in April I had gone in person to my local insurance agency and asked that they change my mailing address to my Del Rio one.  At the time I also wanted to pay my home insurance premium but was told that it was not due until June and an invoice had not been generated yet so they would not even know what to charge me.


Thought it was strange that I did not get a bill in May or early June.  Knew I would be making a trip back home so decided I would handle it when I got here. The reason I did not get my bill was because they never made the address change and it was mailed to my house.  Turns out it was due June 15th, I was very upset because I always strive to make my payments in a timely fashion.  To make a long story short I had to make a deposit to my checking account so I could make the payment and thus keep my policy from being canceled.


Went to the closest IBC, which is a 20-mile round trip and lord and behold…it wasn’t there anymore! It had been closed for months per the HEB employees, as had other branches in the area. Came home and called the main office to find out why and was told they closed all the IBC locations located inside HEB and Kroger stores.  Only stand-alone locations were kept open in the greater Houston area.  My choice was to drive to Pearland, Sugarland, Katy, Kirby or downtown Houston.  Knew I was probably going to regret it but drove to the closest one, that being downtown.

Located on McKinney and Main had no problem locating it…the problem was where to find parking.  In search of a parking space I managed to get lost for a while but found it once more. There were three employees outside passing out flyers and I got one of them, a very nice guy named Blake, to hop in the car with me and lead me to their parking garage.  As expected the parking was tight and I did not want to hit the Lexus next to the only available spot so he offered to park my car. Thank you Blake!

It was fun trying to find my way out of downtown especially since I had not been there in ten years.  When I first moved to Houston I worked in downtown for three years and I swore I would never work there again.  Of course back then they did not have Park and Ride or the rail system.  Wow, I was very impressed with the rail trains I saw today.  Somehow even though I was a nervous wreck, I could not help but notice the beauty of downtown Houston.  I was very impressed! 



Tonight was the Homeowners Association annual meeting and election of officers but with all the drama I went through today decided to skip it. Instead I turned on the A/C, bought me a Pollo Asado and accompanied it with a nice glass of wine.


Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

8 comments:

  1. TY for the pics. I have never seen downtown Houston, just things from an expressway going by. It is beautiful. So is San Antone, if u ever get a chance. Austin, NO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS i would have changed insurance companys.

      Delete
    2. Suerte on his blog has some nice pictures of downtown San Antonio.

      While downtown Houston has improved an awful like in the past ten years, nothing compares to the beauty of the historic San Antonio downtown area. That is my favorite city in Texas after Terlingua.

      Delete
  2. insurance! a necessary evil for sure. the rat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A necessary evil indeed. How well I learned that when to cut expenses I took a gamble and did not renew my insurance.

      Then Hurricane Ike hit and I had to fork out the costly repairs for my house. A lesson I do not care to repeat.

      Delete
  3. Trouble - the thought of changing insurance companies crossed my mind but with the threat of a storm in the Gulf, I could not take any chances.

    FYI when a storm enters the Gulf insurance agencies cannot issue home or car policies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am amazed at how each state in the US has it's own personality and weather. To imagine that one can go in any direction and find a totally new weather system, types of cities, homes and streets is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is amazing Lotta Joy. Thank you for dropping by and commenting.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.