Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Friday, July 13, 2012

Help is on its way for Walter

I went to the Val Verde County Sheriffs office in person because I wanted to handle this face to face with the deputy that is in charge of animal abuse cases for the county.  He was not there but I waited an hour and a half for him to arrive.  It did not matter, as I was willing to wait as long as it took. I was fortunate to be in an air-conditioned building while poor Walter was out in the elements with very green and slimy water.


This is the first time in my life that I have gone inside this building, as I never had a reason to come before.  It is an old building and the waiting area is to one side making the receptionist who is behind a glass partition forget about you real fast as she did in my case. The whole time I was there no other people came in except officers.




I was surprised Deputy Mendez was so young but he seemed knowledgeable and was willing to help Walter and that is all that matters.  I showed him pictures of the deplorable corral, the slimy water and of the sores on his body.



He said he had to go take pictures of his own when he comes to speak to the horse’s owner.  Said it is not going to be resolved over night, as he has to give the owner ten days to correct all the things he finds wrong.  He then has to make another visit and give him another ten days and if at the end of 30 days he has not done enough to correct the situation then he can file felony charges against him.  I am so happy for Walter!


The other day I drove by the library and thought I saw a sign about computer classes so went by today and sure enough they are going to start classes for beginners in August. Asked Mom if she would like to sign up and to my surprise she said YES!


I wanted to publicly thank Leilani for the special interest she has shown in trying to reunite Chewy the lost Chihuahua with her owners.  It takes a very special kind person to see a little doggie on a blog picture and do all the detective work and research she has done out of the kindness of her heart to reunite a little girl with her dog.  Thank you!


Guess gas prices could not keep going down forever.  I filled up at $3.13 on Wednesday and today it had gone up to $3.19.  Oh well, you can’t win them all.


Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

10 comments:

  1. Chewy's home, safe & sound! But not because of anything I did.The owner called back today (guess she used redial) after I'd left the message about the SPCA dog and told me they'd retrieved him from the shelter days ago. I should have called her first!

    But I'm sure proud of you doing the right thing for old Walter. It took no courage for me to help scan ads and shelter listings.It took a heckuva lot of courage to do what you did, because you could be risking reprisal with this.

    Hopefully, your neighbor is a reasonable man and can be made to understand that his trust in the kid to provide proper care for his horse was not well placed and he's now been given the opportunity - a gift from a thoughtful neighbor- to make things right before tragedy was allowed to happen to his valuable horse!

    Presented to him in the right way, all but the most obtuse person could be convinced you're really doing him a favor as much as one for Walter.

    Ya did good kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the best news I have heard today! I am so happy for Chewy and his family. The lady probably called you back because she was grateful that a stranger cared.

      While the officer said my name was not going to be mentioned, the guy is not stupid and is going to know that it was me that reported him. That is the reason I choose to call the Sheriff's department and not the ASPCA because I think he is more fearful of the local authorities.

      Delete
  2. PS) If he gives you any trouble for filing a complaint, maybe you should casually mention that your husband-to-be, the legendary sharpshooting Texas Ranger from Kerrville, can't decide whether to give you a Glock or a Beretta for a wedding present and ask him which one he'd pick! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jajajajaja...has anyone ever told you, you have a great sense of humor? jajajaja, will be sure to keep this in mind :D

      Delete
  3. Praise the Lord MsB, you did what needed doing, nothing like the truth, painful or not. I'm proud of you for doing the right thing.
    Let me know if I can help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No animal deserves to be treated like he was. Thank you for your encouragement as well Suerte.

      Delete
  4. THANK YOU!! Walter needed your help and you did it.
    I love it, that your Mom is going to take those classes. Watch out,,she'll get sharp on that thang...lololol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having second thoughts about taking her to those classes...we might start fighting over the internet connection and she will probably win :D

      Delete
  5. My 81yo Mom figured out Skype real quick when it became the only way to keep up with me. :)

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.