Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Who knew horse pee killed mesquite trees?

When I got back last Friday the first thing I noticed was that the only mesquite tree (more like a twig) that served as shade for Walter was dead.  How can this be?  Mom said Walter only came around twice and the last time the owner’s kid let him out he went to eat grass along the median and almost got hit by a car.  So the kid started yelling at him and took him back to his corral and has not let him out since.


I do not know much of anything about horses but the times he has been here and I have been supervising him…I noticed they pee a lot!  Wish I had know that horse urine would kill mesquite trees, I figured NOTHING would kill those darn trees!  Need to go talk to the owner maybe he can tie Walter to one of the many trees we have and kill a whole lot of them :D


This afternoon I went to his corral and he just looked at me with his sad eyes.  Noticed that one of his water barrels was on its side and another had been taken out and was not even within reach of him apart from having a cover on top, so I am guessing it did not even have water.

This is all the hay he has left

I am at a loss as who to call to complain anymore.  At least it rained some so he got a little relief.


Yesterday we had to go run a lot of errands around town including taking Mom to get some blood work done as tomorrow morning she has to go have some routine x-rays at the hospital.  We have to be there early and neither mother nor I are morning people.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

12 comments:

  1. I wouldn't bet that horse pee was the reason for the mesquite dieing, but maybe?? Can't remember whether you'd said you had called the Sheriff's department about the horse's lack of care or not, but you might try that. They usually use horses a lot and might be a little more interested in seeing that it has better living conditions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have called the Sheriff's department in the past, the county commissioner as well as a county agent. They went to talk to the owner who at that time had three horses.

      Problem is there is no follow-up.

      Delete
  2. Msb, Check this link:
    http://www.spca.org/page.aspx?pid=316
    I think him not having water available will qualify. I'm with tffnguy, can't remember if you contacted owner, but even if you did, he is not a responsible owner, so he needs a little 'jacking up'.
    I would call aspca, AND the county sheriff right away, and to heck with whether you piss someone off, that's no way to treat any animal.
    Good luck, let me know if I can help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the link Suerte. Both my mother and I have told the owner that he can bring Walter to graze in our property.

      Whenever he comes over I make sure there is plenty of water for him to drink. The kid told me that his father works out of town so basically the poor horse is at this kids mercy.

      We have no SPCA in Del Rio but I am going to call the sheriff.

      Delete
    2. Go ahead, call the ASPCA, they will connect with authorities and follow up even if they don't have a local chapter.

      Delete
    3. I did not know that Suerte. Will be calling the ASPCA.

      Delete
  3. Yes!!! Do it...And i did know that Premarin, the hormone, was made out of pregnant mares urine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea. Learn something new everyday.

      Delete
  4. actually urine is usually good for trees. Increases the acidity in the alkaline soil. do what you got to do to take care of the horse. the rat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been known to be wrong once or twice in my life but I figured that him being forced to stay in his corral because it is not even a stable...his urine had made the tree die.

      Does it show that I hate mesquite trees? Thanks for dropping by Mr. Rat :)

      Delete
  5. Hey wait a minute!

    Didn't I just read in the post above this that your new fiance is a retired State Trooper who has a ranch in Kerrville with plenty of room for horses?

    Problem solved. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.