Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Friday, September 7, 2012

I am all Giddy

I can’t help but be giddy as a schoolgirl who is looking forward to going to the prom.  In my case I am giddy at the thought that in a couple of weeks I will be spending my first night in Terlingua.

However I have a lot to do before then.  You might think all you need to do is pack up your camping supplies, clothes and food…but there is a lot more to it than that.  If I am fortunate enough to attend, it will be my 17th Chili Cook-off.

With the exception of the first year that I drove down with a friend in his vehicle…all the other years I have taken Terlita (my camping van) in which I could literally…even take my kitchen sink.  Unfortunately Terlita needs a new transmission so she has not been able to make the trip these past two years.

camping gear, ice chest and other stuff go in the trunk

Making the trip in a car has been a challenge because I have had to pare down on so many things I am used to taking.  No more ”I will take this in case I need it”.  I can only take things I will definitively use.  My first trip without Terlita was difficult, I almost froze to death one night because I could not fit my bulky sleeping bag and opted for a blanket instead…wont make that mistake again!








Last year we had a terrible sand storm that lasted for hours and tore my tent shower to pieces.  Had I been in Terlita it would have been no problem because I would have taken my extra shower tent (I have three).  It was a little tight but I managed to rig up a showering area inside of my tent.

Before

The same goes for clothes; you never know what Mother Nature and the desert are going to throw at you.  It could be hot as hell or it could be as cold as all get out.  Back in 2004 it was cold!  Remember it getting down to 18 degrees but I had plenty of anti-freeze in me and a ton of blankets so that was a non-issue.

After :-(

The most important thing to bring with you (besides beer) is water.  I use to take six green containers that hold 6 gallons each.  Now I can only fit one container in the car.  The difference is that when I started attending the cook-off they did not sell water in town and now they do.  My friend’s tent camped and now they have new trailers and motor homes so they are able to bring plenty of water with them that they have generously shared with me.

I like being self-sufficient and since reading a trick in the Burningman forum, I can take a shower with a garden sprayer and use less than a gallon and that includes washing my hair.  I therefore only accept their kind offer of water when they leave because they will dump their fresh water tanks anyway and I do not like to see water wasted in any way shape or form.  Have I mentioned that I stay a couple of days afterwards to decompress?  Well, more like I used to, two years ago I had to come back that Sunday and last year I came back on Monday.  Hopefully I can manage to stay a couple more days this time around…only time will tell.

I need to set-up my tent in the backyard and give it a good wipe down but with the temperature in triple digits I have been putting it off.  Maybe I will get to it this weekend? Or maybe not…

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

14 comments:

  1. Where there's a will there's a way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oughta get you one of them car top carrier bags...for a tad extra room. And if you switched to whiskey you'd only need a couple of quarts, instead of cases of Coors. IMHO.


    bigfoot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned long ago that liquor and I do not get along. I guess I have always been a beer lover.

      Delete
  3. Or add a hitch if you don't have one and buy a small cheap used trailer? Maybe a tent trailer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not good at hitching or unhitching things. I would have to rely on someone to do it for me and that does not go with my self-reliance ideology.

      Delete
  4. Or you could take hardly anything and sponge off of bigfoot and David (grin). Where exactly do they hold the cook off? Is it on someone's ranch? Didn't see any open space big enough for it in Terlingua.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are actually two cook-off's. The one dubbed "The Original" is held in a trailer park in back of the little store. This is the tame one and I have never been to it.

      The one I attend is held at CASI Rancho de los Chisos. CASI stands for Chili Appreciation Society International and the ranch is huge.

      Delete
  5. DD, I don't go (Too MUCH law/heat) so that's out and don't think BF will be there either. That pretty well means you need to bring your new house to it and let her stay with you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the heat is not so bad inside the event as it is out on the roads when the DPS take over.

      I do not leave the grounds after Wednesday unless I am in someone else's vehicle and they are driving.

      Delete
  6. kick butt and take names MsB. Have a great time! your friend always , the rat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr. Rat but it is still seven weeks away.

      Delete
    2. "In my case I am giddy at the thought that in a couple of weeks I will be spending my first night in Terlingua."

      You must be going 5 weeks early.

      Delete
  7. Having never been to a Chili cookoff in Terlingua, I can only see what it's all about via these blogs and some youtube vids. I've heard from all the locals to stay in as the cops are out all over writing tickets for dirty windshields, etc. They bring in all sorts of law enforcment....must be a real money maker for the gov.

    Bigfoot

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.