Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Dia De Los Muertos

Apart from the Chili Cook-Off one of the things I like to do when I am in my favorite desert is to attend the annual Dia De Los Muertos (Day of the Dead) celebration held at the Terlingua Cemetery.  I was prepared to miss it this year as it took place on Friday, November 2nd and I do not leave the campground after Wednesday in my own vehicle as the local as well as State Troopers descend on the area and pull you over for no reason as they are looking for drunk drivers.

Lucky for me my friends wanted to go and they drove. I noticed this year a lot more people are dressing up as well as helping in the lighting of the candles that takes place at sunset.  It is really a spectacular sight and one I would highly recommend if you are in the area.

My camera is a cheapo and does not take good pictures in particular late afternoon and evening shots. So please excuse the poor quality.









\


I wanted to take a picture of all the graves when they were lit but my camera did not cooperate.



Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


8 comments:

  1. Those are some lovely looking people in that cemetery. When I walked through it, I didn't see anybody. I guess I don't know the right chant (grin). You all had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved seeing all the people dressed up, it was neat. We had a ball specially the virgins in our group.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Like everything, different strokes for different folks.

      Delete
  3. Cool, I guess that's something else I'll have to take a chance on one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wont regret it. It is something worth seeing at least once.

      Delete
  4. This was the first year I had a chance to attend and I really loved the experience. It was really great being able to see the flickering candle lights at every single grave site. A friend of mine said that she and a few others made sure that not a one was forgotten. I'm glad I was able to attend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you were able to attend too, it is something different but so worthwhile to see.

      It was through your blog that I found out that there was music afterwards. If I am lucky enough to attend next year I will make sure I stay for that.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.