Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

First Days in Terlingua

Left for Terlingua on Friday, October 26, 2012.  I got a late start and did not leave until 1:25 p.m. I still had to run a couple of errands including gassing up.  Filled up at $3.309 per gallon.  The speed limit is 75 mph but I caught myself at times going even faster but quickly lowered the speed as I was fully loaded.


Thought it was funny that at the Comstock Border Patrol check point instead of asking me if I was an American citizen...they asked me if I was "moving" hehehehe :D


Considered eating when I got to Alpine but thought it would take too long and only gassed up.  Gas was considerable higher at $3.689 per gallon.  The road between Alpine and Study Butte had so many little gravel chips and unfortunately a truck hauling a trailer at a high rate of speed  hit my windshield and chipped it.  Tffnguy's post a couple of months back about the road conditions quickly came to mind.


I got to my campground at 7:55 p.m. Considered setting up my shower so I could get some of my plastic tubs down but glad I did not as the wind picked up considerably that night and I did not want to lose my shower before I even had a chance to use it.  It was cold and windy and I was very tired. Turned in early and slept in my car that first night.


Set up my camp early Saturday morning and also saved a space for my friends who were arriving on Wednesday.  I was surprised at the number of people already here when I arrived. It appears more and more people are coming earlier to claim a good spot.





My other camp mates arrived around noon and I was very happy to see them specially the ones with the food as I had not eaten since Friday morning.  Saturday was another cold and windy night and we all turned in early.


Sunday the guys arrived and the party really got started!

I am probably one of a handful of people that do not own or for that matter want a cell phone.  Went to the main pavilion to use their pay phone only to find that they no longer have one.  Drove to Study Butte to the only other pay phone that I know of located at the Big Bend Motor Inn to let my mother know that I had arrived safely.

When I got back I was re-arranging the stuff in my car when someone came up behind me and to my surprise it was Frann.  She had come down in her scooter to pay a visit.



Stay tuned for more stories and pictures....

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


9 comments:

  1. How is Fran's house coming on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dani, I am sorry I had not had a chance to answer your question. Frann left a message on this post explaining what is going on with her house.

      Delete
  2. MsB, sorry to hear about the windshield ding. I finally got the head light that got broken changed out just before the chili cook off. There is still some loose gravel on 118, but its a lot better than it was.

    Dani, I hear Frann's unfinished house collapsed while she was gone and she's buying one of Ron's cabins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tffnguy if that loose gravel on 118 was better I can only imagine how bad it was before!

      Glad you got your headlight fixed before the heat descended on Terlingua.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for allowing us to camp with you. BTW, why did Frann stop blogging?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My house did not collapse..I took down part of one wall for more slope for the roof. I bought a 8x12 store room that I am going to live in for the winter while I get back to work on the house after going to Houston to work for the last 6 months. I bought a 1250 gal water tank and 480 more solar watts and am ahead on my land payments and have money to work on the house now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DD..were you there?? MsB thanks for the great pics.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.