Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Now that that's over with...

Now that that's over with...remind me to NEVER go four months and nine days without going home to Houston!

Needed to have stayed a lot longer, there is no way I could have squeezed into a week what I did not do in four months.  More on that on a future blog.

Thanks for your advice and comments on the prior post but I guess I did not make it clear that when I dropped Cricket Communications (had an air card) that pretty much did away with my Internet connection in Houston or any other city where they have a presence.

Guess I could have gone to McDonald's but besides having nothing on the menu to my liking...there is the issue of little children throwing temper tantrums and screaming at the top of their lungs...that is just too much at least for this girl to handle.  Makes me want to go up to the parents and slap them around so they will teach their kids some manners!

One thing I am very happy with has been the purchase of my Magic Jack Plus which along with Road Runner (our new ISP) helped me stay in touch with mother for free.  She would call me from Del Rio and if I needed to talk to her I called her from Houston.  Neither one of us has long distance service on our respective landlines.  I set up my Magic Jack Plus as a Houston telephone number so I just dialed it as a local number.  I seldom recommend anything but if you want  phone service with a number and area code of your choosing along with unlimited long distance service and without having to have your computer on 24/7 this is the way to go.

Both yesterday and today have been rather physically and mentally taxing but that is for a future blog as well.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

8 comments:

  1. I've wondered about the Magic Jack,,glad you have said this. I've just used my cell for long distance, tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since neither mother or I have a cell phone this works great for us when we need to make long distance calls.

      Delete
  2. We have had a Magic Jack for years but don't use it. If I make a long distance call, I use my cell phone. It has a lot of free hours and of course weekends are also free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had the regular Magic Jack for a couple of years but it did not work well with my prior ISP unless I drove into town close to the Cricket tower and then I "might" be able to get a decent connection.

      MagicJack Plus does not require a computer you only plug in to your router and it becomes a stand alone phone.

      Like I mentioned previously I do not have a cell phone.

      Delete
  3. I've had a Magic Jack for at least 5 years and it worked ok in Plano, but I don't use windows anymore so its useless. They still pull the fee out of my bank account ever year even though I don't use it. I thought about getting one of the Plus type which I could use, but don't make that many LD calls so scratched that idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you mean you do not use Windows?

      I have found Magic Jack customer service makes it difficult to contact them and get them to stop pulling their annual fee. I want to drop my regular subscription but I am paid up until August I believe.

      However the Magic Jack Plus is a keeper as far as I am concerned.

      Delete
  4. MsB, I use Linux and not any form of MS windows. Magic Jack only works in the MS windows operating system so its worthless to me. I could use the plus, but then with the lousy support and them already stiffing me for a yearly fee on the standard MJ I won't get one of the plus MJs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the clarification Tffn. Goes to show that I know nothing about computers :-(

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.