Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Feliz Dia de San Valentin

Hope everyone had a nice Valentine's Day.  Since Santa Claus has ignored my request for "a tall weathered cowboy" for two years in a row...I do not have a honey to celebrate with...poor me :-(

I spent my Valentine's Day in Ciudad Acuna, Coahuila, Mexico.  I went to my dentist's office to pick up my night guard and it fits like a glove.

Since this is also my cyber journal I wanted to mention that as I was getting ready this morning the lights went out. What gives?  Last week it was the water and now no electricity?  It did come back on after 20 minutes.

Even though the morning low was 35 it warmed up to 71 per WeatherBug but I think it was much higher than that because I had to turn on the car A/C.  After we got through with the dentist we went to do our monthly grocery shopping.

Note the big banner advertising their Cuaresma Specials...that means Lent.
We shopped at Bodegas Aurrera, Merco and Gutierrez.  There were so many photo ops all along the way  but when driving in Mexico you really have to be alert because they don't bother signaling or slowing down like we are used to in the States.

Here is a helpful tip...if you hear cars honking, do not think they are honking at you...even though they may if you are going too slow :D  In Ciudad Acuna, taxi cabs honk at people who are walking to see if they need their services as opposed to the U.S.  where we have to flag them down.

For a while it brought back memories of when I lived in Houston and street vendors peddled their roses at the corners on Friday nights (though I have no idea if they still do that).  Every corner you looked there were people selling roses or Valentine baskets.






If you wanted to sell your Mexican pesos to buy dollars, today's rates were very favorable:


On our way back to Del Rio we were so surprised at the lines going into Mexico.  They were long and backed up past the toll booths.  On the other hand it was smooth sailing to the United States, no lines at Customs and I only had a one car wait.  I will call this my Valentine's Day present, you will seldom if ever find short lines to cross back to American soil.




These are the toll booths on the American side
Gasoline prices did not care if it was El Dia de San Valentin...gas went up .10 cents from yesterday. :-(


Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

10 comments:

  1. I enjoy go'n with ya on your trips to Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The closest I get to Mexico is Terlingua. I don't have a pass port and don't intend to get one. Anyway, we travel with our dogs. Maybe we will see you in Terlingua soon. I would like to get back down there. Last time we stayed at BJ's RV park. Would probably stay there again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping to go to Ojinaga, Chihuahua while I was at the Chili Cook-off this year. It has been a couple of years since I was there.

      Mexico is not for everyone but it works for me. I buy groceries, shop the area stores, go to the beauty shop, buy my medicines and go to the doctors and dentists because I do not have medical insurance and I am not old enough to start my Medicare coverage.

      Hope you can go to Terlingua before the heat sets in. I probably wont be able to make it until chili cook-off time.

      Delete
  3. Good trip, with you, too. Thx for all the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy traveling vicariously through all the pics of her jaunts down to Mexico too, BillyBob.

    Speaking of Cuaresma, Ms B - from one chocoholic to another - what on earth (or sun?) were the Gregorian Calendar people thinking by scheduling Ash Wednesday the day before Valentines Day this year?

    Somehow against all odds I managed to score a V-day gift box of chocolate truffles and I can't very well just let them all go to waste, can I? I mean, that would be even more decadent, wouldn't it?

    Soooo, I guess I'll just have to give up something else this year instead of the ol' standby chocolate, darn it! ;-)

    I was thinking broccoli would probably be a pretty safe choice.

    After all, I'm not likely to get a surprise bouquet of that delivered before Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leilani, I have no idea what they were thinking when they scheduled Ash Wednesday the day before Valentine's Day but I am as outraged as you are!

    It is a good thing I am not into this stuff (though I love Lent food) because...I think chocolate would win out :D

    I believe broccoli is a safe choice even though we also bought that this trip to Mexico....jajajajaja...guess I am not giving up anything :D

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.