Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

March 2013 trip to Houston

When I think back when I lived and worked full time in Houston and drove to Del Rio every other week or sometimes more often after Dad got sick...it still boggles my mind.  I do not know how I did it, perhaps being 15 years younger might have a lot to do with it...all I know is it takes a lot out of me to make the same trip and we are not talking every other week but every other month or sometimes longer :-(

Drove over there on a cloudy day and that is always helpful.  Gasoline prices in San Antonio coming and going were steady.  Prices in Houston were surprisingly higher than in Del Rio if you can believe that!


Ran a lot of errands under the threat of severe storms, pea size hail and menacing skies but none of that materialized to my great relief, at least not in my side of town.

I am happy to report that this time around there was no vandalism to my house.  Here is a picture of the four BB gun pellet shots to my window from the January 2013 trip.


The phone books that are delivered to my house are usually a soggy mess that I have to toss in the garbage by the time I make it home.  I miss my broadband connection (but not Cricket) so I could get phone numbers to local places like the library.


For some reason the Del Rio library no longer carries IRS tax forms and booklets or for that matter any other place in town.  As you know if you have been reading me for a while... I file an extension every year and then forget about it until October... when I then run around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to get them filed before the October 15th final deadline.


Twelve years ago this was a one story small library and now it is a beautiful two story building.  This is the Barbara Bush Library.  With budget cuts to the Harris County library system the hours of operation have changed.  Having no phone books to speak of in order to call them, I am lucky I made it 15 minutes before they closed.  Happily picked up my copy of Form 4868.

The library is located next door to the Sheriff's department and when I spotted this vehicle it reminded me of Shoeless Joe, one of my blog readers and his PaT.  So John this pictures is for you  :)


It sure has been nice going home and not having to stress about mowing the yard, I do not know why I did not hire someone sooner or I would probably would still be there.

With my memory being what it is... needed to document that this time around I decided to remove my mailbox.  One less thing to have to worry about.

6 comments:

  1. Think I could get that paint job on PaT? I probably could make better time across the country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You probably could make better time but you would not be very stealth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back to the Houston area. I bet you didn't miss it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right about that Dizzy...I did not miss it one bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How long does it take to do that drive? Seems to be a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It depends Trouble, if I only stop in San Antonio to gas up and I drive in to Houston before rush hour, it takes me six hours.

    However I like to stop in Sabinal, Texas and have some tacos at Nora's or I stop at the Dairy Queen in Castroville. Depending on the day of the week and the time I enter Houston it can take me seven hours or more.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.