Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Moats / Ants

It had been a while since we had any significant rain that really soaked the ground.  Took this opportunity to dig moats around some of the trees.


 
Could not go any deeper because of the roots

You may wonder why I did not remove the weeds?  Well, I forgot my Sally Hoe last time I went to Houston.  I am also hoping Walter will show up any day now and he needs to have something to graze on.  Probably the main reason though...I am lazy...:D



Did the same for the shrubs...or are they considered flower plants?



While it was still doable...dug a hole for another shrub Mom wants planted.



The ant invasion is in full swing.  Here I thought I had exterminated them but they are alive and well :-(

Fire Ants

Sugar Ants

These Pissy ant mounds are all over the property

The only decent size pecan tree is being devoured...each day there are less leaves on it...Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!


Same story for the pomegranate tree...


However...nothing seems to infest these pesky mesquites...full and lush as ever :-(




Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

4 comments:

  1. Just saw on the news, how much rain your area had, even 17" around there, so how much did you get?
    You can spray those trees with some liquid soap with a sprayer on the end of your hose that mixes it with water. It's worms here doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom's house got between 2 to 3 inches. However down the road in Eagle Pass, Texas and neighboring border city Piedras Negras, Coahuila was where they received over a foot of rain in three hours.

      Eagle Pass is about 60 miles from Del Rio.

      Delete
  2. Any tree with thorns is usually dominate, jusst like anything you want to grow, dies and anything want die, lives.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.