Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Monday, June 3, 2013

Not the best of days

As I mentioned Friday when I took mother to get pre-registered at the hospital...I like to get this done before and not the day of, as there is always some computer glitch or problem that surfaces its ugly head.  Today was not the exception...they could not find her paperwork!  I was given a number instead and they would use that rather than her name.



I thought it was only my mother but I soon saw that they did this to all those that arrived.  Down computers again?  They just spent a bundle remodeling their facilities maybe they should of spent part of it on a new computer system?


Mother was scheduled for a CT and had to fast since 10:00 p.m. last night but she started at 8:00 p.m.   Her appointment was for 9:30 a.m. but of course she was not called until 10:45 a.m.  My mother is elderly and started feeling bad early this morning as she had to drink that white chalk like substance.  She was left to fast for 14 hours 45 minutes but it wasn't until we got home at noon that she was able to finally eat something. What is wrong with this picture?


They called her number and I went to the front desk and the technician asked me "why I had not given them the medications mother takes"...I told her "because you did not ask me"...to which she replied " Yes, I did"...I wanted to punch her because she was calling me a liar and where was she going to write it?  They did not have her paperwork!

As if that was not enough, earlier after I had dropped mother off in the front door I went to park the car.  Was making my way back to the hospital when I decided to stop and take a picture of the entrance.  That is when I noticed this well dressed lady with her fancy purse and laptop bag looking at me.  She purposely stopped and waited for me.

She asked me what news media I was with because she was not aware of anyone coming to take pictures.  I was going to have a cow if this woman told me that I could not take a picture of the outside of a PUBLIC hospital !!!

She was polite but very inquisitive and prying....you all know how I feel about prying strangers...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!   I wanted so bad to tell her the article I was photographing for was going to appear in the Terlingua Dreams Times!  Was she perhaps the Public Relations Director for the hospital?  Who knows, who cares....she was a PIA!

So as you can see...it was not the best of days.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

6 comments:

  1. What I would have done?,,,i would have left and told them when they could stick to MY schedule I would come back, then I would complain to the doc that ordered it. I got to the lab one time, and found out the doc had forgotten to order the tests!!! NO MORE FASTING! And I sure wouldn't have put up with that rude person at the desk....
    Now, that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you TnT...would have probably done the same if it was an appointment for myself but my mother needed to have had these test done back in January. I wrote about it in this post.

      http://terlinguadreams.blogspot.com/2013/01/medicare-red-tape.html

      Delete
  2. That's par for the course when dealing with the medical profession.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How unfortunate but true Dizzy. Being in Del Rio we are at a disadvantage because it is the only hospital in town or at least within a 70 miles radius.

      Delete
  3. What about getting your mother's health checkups in Mexico? My mother used a Mexican hospital in Auga Prieta for a gallbladder surgery. My father also went to that hospital when he had a problem and they took great care of him until he could transfer to Tucson with partial kidney failure.

    The VA care that I receive at the VA Clinic in Pahrump is outstanding in comparison to what you are going through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother is a cancer survivor and has to be monitored every six months to see if she is still in remission. She has three tests performed when she gets her CT scan and they are very pricey.

      The CT machine is not available in Ciudad Acuna or any nearby Mexican border towns...as a matter of fact many wealthy Mexican patients have theirs performed in Val Verde Regional Hospital versus driving to San Antonio or Houston.

      Her Oncologist will not see her because her accounting office is afraid they will not be paid due to some clerical error that just surfaced in January 2013 where they show her primary insurance to be State Farm and not Medicare after an accident she had back in 1999 and that somehow reared its ugly head after thirteen years!!!

      Her primary physician is as sick as I am of all the red tape we have had to go through because of this clerical error...so he ordered the test her Oncologist would have if her accounting office was not so worried about being paid...of which I am extremely grateful.

      The closest city in Mexico for this type of tests is Monterrey, Nuevo Leon and that is a very long trip for me to subject her to.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.