Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Menudo / Barbacoa / Claire

Decided I needed to eat a good breakfast so I could focus on the task at hand...taxes :(     Mother lives in the southern part of the county so it is a long drive to the north of the city where the national fast food chains are located.  No problem, we have Taco Riendo a locally owned little restaurant not far from her house.


I had my sights set on a bowl of menudo, but lord and behold they sold out and it was still early :-(
What to do?  Went to check out a Carniceria (Meat Market) close to the laundromat I always go to but they were out too!  Darn, it wasn't even that late.....I have purchased menudo up until 10:30 a.m. before!


I could have probably gotten some in town but I settled for some barbacoa instead.  If you have never tasted barbacoa...you have no idea what you are missing.  I know this picture does not do it justice and it might even make it less appealing but trust me...it tastes delicious.  I cooked me a scrambled egg, chopped some onions, jalapenos and cilantro...warmed up some corn tortillas and had me a scrumptious breakfast. :D


All afternoon we were warned of a rain event but where mother lives she only received .04 of an inch.  The other day Captain Joey asked me about Claire the mare.  I had not seen her at her owners or his son's house but I saw her today back by the Duck Pond.  Will write a post on my other blog.  If you care to read it just click on my header picture and it will take you there.


Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

9 comments:

  1. Was the Barbacoa from beef, goat or sheep? Do different shops/restaurants use different meats? I need to try some when I'm in Del Rio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea Ed, will have to inquire at the meat market.

      Delete
  2. About the only food I don't like is coconut and that is because as a kid I was not allowed to have for medical reasons. So I learned to detect the faintest hint of coconut in things and thus, taught myself not to like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of a coconut allergy, which I'm assuming was the medical reason. However, there are probably some people that are allergic to everything that we who are not eat all the time.

      Delete
    2. Dizzy, while I am not allergic to coconut...I just don't like it. I refuse to eat anything with coconut in it!

      Delete
  3. Well, NOW i'm gonna get out my frozen Mexican food dinner,,,lololol..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy Ms B,

    Some say the VERY BEST BARBACOA is cabeza de vaca... I don't care what it is as long as it's got plenty of 'heat' to it... Around here, with all of the wild hawgs, I think all of the TEX-MEX is pork... FREE MEAT... If I was in better health I'd be out there with'em...... None on my ranch, but a bunch across the hiway....
    I surely do hope you find some MENUDO, boy, I like menudo..... Up here they only make it on Saturday, to calm hangovers !!! hee hee hee and it's gone by 10am.
    (spell-checker don't like Mexican words)
    Eating barbacoa is having a HAPPY DAY !!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy Mr. Butterbean :)

      Yeap cabeza de vaca is the best and as far as I know the only one I have ever tasted...though you never know...jajajaja!

      Mom does not like menudo, says it is only for drunks trying to get over their hangovers. Told her then there were a lot of drunks because people love the stuff and they always run out :D

      Thank you for dropping by and leaving me a comment.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.