Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Halloween in the desert

Post for Friday - October 31, 2014

It there is something my best friend is known for...it is her ability to make the best jello shots.  I am not a liquor drinker, mostly I stick to my beer but I make an exception when it comes to her jello shots.


Unfortunately my cheap camera does not take good night time pics so I failed to document the stash she brought.  We usually go to the guys camp at night to enjoy their roaring fire and many of them are from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. She somehow convinced them that a jello shot would protect them from Ebola as well as those of us that don't even live anywhere close by.  Yep, she really tried hard for us to consume them...she twisted our arm :D


It is no wonder we all woke up with a terrible headache!  Worst part was having a headache and waking up at 5:00 a.m. and not being able to go back to sleep.


Again I considered setting up my tent shower but found it easier to go to the quarter showers in Study Butte.  It costs $2.00 and I believe they last five minutes...I could be wrong though.  Locals please feel free to correct me.


My best friend's boyfriend is a great cook.  Today we enjoyed "pollo borracho"...that means drunk chicken in Spanish.  I do not care for sweet potatoes but his were fabulous...I even had seconds or was it thirds? :D


It is cooked with a beer can in its cavity and it made it so tender and moist. Can you see the beer?


Trick or treaters came by but we had to send them to the guy's camp as bringing candy was not a priority this year.  It is funny how I have gotten to know a great deal of them and can tell how much they have grown these past years since their parents started bringing them on Halloween.


The guys gave us these cute little solar figurines. Mine was the dancing pumpkin and my friend's the ghost.  If you are wondering why my eggs are sitting in the sun...they are not eggs, I put my tent stakes in the egg carton so I could transport them without them accidentally causing damage to my camping gear.


In comparison to last night...tonight was a quiet night.  My friends said the wind blew pretty good but in my warm toasty car I did not feel a thing.  I am so glad I car camped this year.

Is this not a neat motorcycle?
I know my pictures do not exactly follow my story line but bear with me. Many of you have told me you want pictures so I am inserting them wherever I can. However, it is not easy when I am only getting one or two bars. :(


Stay tuned for more stories from the desert and pictures to back them up.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

8 comments:

  1. Great pictures! I really like the header pic, a bbq is always a good idea.
    Sounds like you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the photos. I had a GREAT time :)

      Delete
  2. In the last picture, those guys must do some stealth camping in the desert, since they have a big camoflauged structure that looks portable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! I would have stuck to beer, though. I love to see all the different camping setups - there was even a teardrop camper. Thanks for showing all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Gypsy, this is the third time I try to answer your comment because I have lost previous replies to "comment heaven" :(

      While I only photographed that one teardrop because I thought it so cool that their camp brought down their coaches...there were many others that I did not get the opportunity to photograph.

      I love riding around seeing the different camping set-ups and hopefully getting ideas that I can incorporate to my future camps.

      Delete
  4. Do you have a pic of Terlita? I tried going through the past but didn't see any. Or just direct to a previous post date in case I missed it! Thanks, SS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy I did not start my blog until 2011 and Terlita's last trip to the desert was in 2008. With my CRS and all it is difficult to remember if I have ever featured her picture.

      Back in the old days I used the old disposable camera's so I have no digital images but will look around and do a future post on her.

      How about them Spurs...so glad to see them winning :)

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.