Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Cyber Monday flop

After last year's experience on Black Friday but held on Gray Thursday...I promised myself that I would NEVER do that again.  There is nothing I want bad enough to make me brave those crowds...much rather pay full price!

However, I was all prepared for Cyber Monday and shopping from the convenience of home while wearing my pajamas.  As soon as I turned on the computer this morning the computer tells me I have no internet connection.  How can that be?

I was not a happy camper.  Tried another computer and it told me the same thing...grrrrrrrrr!!!  I must admit I uttered a couple of other unlady like words.  The girl at the AT&T store front prided herself with giving me her cell phone number in case I ever had a problem.  Little does that do if her voicemail is not set up!

This is my second trip since I acquired my hotspot.  The last time another associate changed out my SIMS card but it did not do any good.  While I was waiting to be attended, I turned on my computer and lord and behold...the darn thing had a five bar connection and I had no problem.  Another associate reset it to the original factory setting and sent me on my way.

When I got home, while I could access the internet it took years to load the pages.  I guess I ended saving money as I could never access the Cyber Monday deals I wanted...just as well :(

I have until this Friday to return the darn thing...will have to think it over.  I do NOT plan on going back to Time Warner Cable, Cricket or dial-up even though I must admit by comparison dial-up was not so bad.

Tonight I am having problems answering comments.  Tried to do another desert post but gave up as the pictures took forever to load.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

16 comments:

  1. here's hoping that you get your internet problems squared away. If I can't walk out with it under my arm, chances are good I don't want it very bad. My best to you and your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Del Rio it is going to be difficult to not to have internet problems. We have very few options and poor service. People in Terlingua have better internet service than I do.

    Thanks for the visit. My regards to you and Mrs. Rat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MsBelinda - I have DishNet....for about 45$ a month I have all that I need and it is fast......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Problem is my mother does not want a satellite dish on her roof. We are located in the lower portion of the county and she would need one.

      Thank you for commenting, it is an option.

      Delete
  4. My Sprint air card and BillyBobs Verison worked well in Del Rio the last time we were there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys camp in the northern portion of the county where there are cell phone towers to service the growing commercial areas in the zone. We live in the southern tip of the county...we are the redheaded step-children of Del Rio :(

      Delete
  5. Have you ever inquired about service from Telmex in Ciudad Acuna? Maybe their signal would reach you better than AT&T. From everything that I have read from other bloggers that are on the road AT&T is rather poor for internet service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would rather do without internet than get service from Telmex.

      His owner the richest man in the world, Carlos Slim, is a white collar criminal who lines the pockets of corrupt officials just like him to achieve his goals. They have fined him millions of dollars for his unfair and monopolistic practices and he has yet to pay a dime or set foot in a courthouse.

      Delete
  6. Last week I bought and returned two computers, then spent less money to have mine fixed. I don't have all the bells and whistles but I couldn't use them anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is pretty much why I do not purchase another computer...too many bells and whistles that I would never be able to use.

      Thanks for commenting Lotta Joy.

      Delete
  7. If you own a computer, sooner or later you will have a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will not go back to Time Warner Cable or Cricket. Can't put a satellite dish on the roof and will not have anything to do with Carlos Slim's Telmex. AT&T and Verizon signal is to poor to provide the service you want.

    I think that just about covers what is available to you where you live near Del Rio. The only other thing that I can think of to do is mount a satellite dish on a pole rather that the roof but your mother may not like that either. The other solution would be to move but I doubt that you would consider that in the near term.

    Sometimes we just can not have what we want and must do without!

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.