Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Back to more mundane things

Last Saturday I was getting ready to watch one of the NBA playoff games when the television went dead.  Mom was in the living room fixing to watch Lawrence Welk (her favorite show) and she lost reception as well.  Tried everything I knew but both sets said "Complete Signal Loss".  Called it in and they said they would be here Monday between 12:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.  They lied, got a call at 5:45 p.m. that they were tied up and could not come till Wednesday.

What is it about cable, telephone, satellite and basically all the trades people that they never show up on time?  I missed three playoff games and that was the main reason I got Dish...grrrr!!!  Yes, I know this is rather mundane.  On the bright side I finally got to watch some of the taped episodes of my Brazilian soap opera that ended a month ago :D

Got a call early Tuesday morning that they could be here within the hour...we were asleep!  Not wanting to miss another game I told them to come over.  The technician was from San Antonio and he and other Dish personnel had come to Del Rio to replace the light bulb looking thingies on the dish ( I forgot the name he used) that the hail storm had knocked out through out the area.

BTW thank you for all the suggestions you have been kind enough to e-mail me about getting rid of mold on my Kodiak Canvas tent.  I used the 5 parts water to 1 part vinegar that the manufacturer suggested with no luck, so I will be trying the others as soon as the rains and humidity let up.

I usually place beer cartons or cardboard then the ground tarp to protect the tent flooring from prickly desert plants. I set up the tent back in October when it wasn't raining and besides I needed the beer cartons for the tent I never set up at the Chili Cook-off in Terlingua. Yesterday I put some beer and cereal boxes around the edges to help with the moisture issue.  Both Walter (the horse) and Pedrito (the stray) kept on sniffing and moving the cereal boxes.


The strong winds turned off the gas water heater so I am going to have to spend some time looking at YouTube videos before I decide to call the plumber.

The purple sage is finally blooming. I am surprised that it had not bloomed sooner.



NBA Playoff Corner

Stephen Curry's daughter Riley is an adorable two-year-old.  With that said I do not think children of players have a place in press conferences. The first time I half way tolerated it but to pull this stunt twice, in particular after winning their conference to advance to the NBA finals shows a total lack of respect for the reporters that are trying to do their job and the fans that tuned in to listen to him speak, not to watch his daughter sing and yawn.  End of rant.

4 comments:

  1. The purple sage is really pretty. I don't think I've ever seen it before.

    I bought 3 yards of "kite Tyvek" that is about 3 ft wide - it's lighter weight but probably stronger than the house-wrap Tyvek. My tent is about 3 ft wide but sort of angled in on one end, so all I did was cut the length of the tent and trimmed it up a little. It's supposed to be slightly smaller than the tent floor so you should barely see it when the tent is on it. Kite tyvek is really soft and you can machine wash it to make it even softer. Best thing is that it's practically weightless. If you need something wider than what it comes in, you can use duct tape to connect 2 pieces. I bought it from Amazon and it was pretty inexpensive although I can't remember exactly how much it costs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading about it on your blog. Great ground cover for tents. At the time I set up mine back last October, I never anticipated leaving it up for so long, so now I am paying the price with the mold issue. Live and learn :(

      Delete
  2. Those mesquites are looking quite healthy! Sage looks nice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You "had" to mention those mesquites? (Me with a tear rolling down my cheek) :-(

      Ready for next Thursday?

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.