Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, November 7, 2015

Dia de los Muertos - November 2, 2015

It has been three long years since I have had an opportunity to be a part of the Dia de los Muertos celebration and was definitively looking forward to it.


While the ceremonies begin after sundown, volunteers are there early cleaning the graves, decorating, putting offerings in the altars,setting up the tables for the pot luck dinner, etc. etc.


Many locals and people that are in town for the two chili cook-offs come to the event.  Many dress up for it.



Some I recall from past Day of the Dead celebrations.




Others I have never seen before.




I enjoy seeing everyone having a good time.  After all the candles on the graves are lit, the bonfire is ignited.


Ran into Frann at the cemetery or rather she recognized me. Warned her I was ill and did not want to pass it on to her. She stated she did not catch things easily. Frann knows practically all the town and introduced me to a lot of folks.

People of all ages and walks of life attend.
For the first time I stayed to eat the pot luck dinner that the community prepares.  It is a BYOB (bring your own bottle or beer) event :D

Even this little tyke enjoyed it!
Local musicians come and entertain as people sit around the bonfire and take in the celebration. Frann introduced me to Bill Ivy and his wife, he is the unofficial mayor of Terlingua and owner of the Old Ghost town, including the cemetery.


We stayed till the very end and then went to the porch where I got to hear Moe (a local musician) that I first heard on YouTube.

I met a young lady from Houston who had gone online and learned of the festivities. Her little dog and her made the long trip to the desert for the very first time. She too dressed up for the event. No pictures were taken as I left my camera in the car.

I had such a wonderful time.  If you are ever in the area on Nov 2nd you might want to check it out.for yourself.


Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


2 comments:

  1. It's good to see your report from that part of the world! Heck, it's GREAT to see you on the internet again!

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.