Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, December 4, 2016

Rain, Rain and more Rain...

It has been raining practically non-stop since late Friday night.  We really need the rain but not this much in such a short time frame.  What happens when it rains in south Val Verde county? Well, of course, the signal on my worthless DISH goes out...both TV and Internet.


 I can not believe a city the size of Del Rio has such unreliable service when my Terlingua friends out deep in the desert outback have excellent connectivity...go figure!


I really hate to see all those precious gallons of water go to waste and as preparation for my future desert life, I put out as many containers, 5-gallon buckets, ice chests, trash cans and anything that could serve as my rainwater catchment and storage.


At the suggestion of one of my readers, I purchased a five dollar Tracfone some time ago.  Loved it, it was a no frills phone and very easy to use.  However, I was notified that my 2G phone would no longer work after December 31, 2016.  They did send a free replacement phone but it was a smartphone and I really did not want it.  I have over 2000 minutes leftover since I hardly use the darn thing, I only have it in case of an emergency as we constantly travel to San Antonio and back.


I have no idea how people can write posts using their smartphones.  I tried since my home internet was dead but failed, not that that should come as a surprise to anyone :D

Without further ado....


Strike Two - Post for Thursday, December 1, 2016

Administered the three tranquilizer pills to Tammie hidden in a hot dog early Thursday morning. This time I was very hopeful of succeeding as she laid down to sleep next to Oscar after having breakfast. They were next to dad's old car.  Both looked to be fast asleep but Oscar saw me lurking around and his movements woke her up.


As you can see Terlita does not have a high clearance
She, of course, took off and ended up under Terlita (my non-working camping van).  Terlita is parked in the carport/garage in an unlevel spot.  In some areas, it has a 7-inch clearance and in others 8 inches.



I would have had to get on my belly, wait until she was passed out and then dragged her out and carried her to my vehicle. That is if she was within arms reach, as I am not exactly Twiggy (famous model in the 60's) to be able to contour my body to fit into such a tight space.



Folks...that just did not happen!  First of all, she never passed out and secondly, I could not risk trying to get her out without her biting me. For those new to this blog...I do not have health insurance and a trip to the hospital is not in my budget.


Not within arms reach under Terlita

I truly care for this dog but not at the risk of personal injury to myself. On the positive side, each day she seems to have fewer quills on her face.  She is taking antibiotics, anti-inflammatory and pain medication, so she is not suffering and actually is doing quite well under the circumstances.


Today she is down to four quills.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

8 comments:

  1. I have been so worried that you would have the worst news to report. How is she losing the quills, I wonder. Do you think she can pull them out, or do they eventually just fall out? I don't blame you for not risking injury to yourself - you've gone way beyond what most people would do to help both dogs. The best thing that could have happened to her is that she may have been spayed at the vet, but she will continue to have more litters, I'm afraid.

    Thank you for all you've done for both these dogs. I'm hoping you can get Oscar out of that environment and perhaps adopted by someone who would look after him and love him. He seems like he would make someone an excellent pet. Unless he was put in a "no-kill" shelter to wait for adoption, he probably wouldn't last. Thanks for the update and for all you've done, your time spent as well as your money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea how she is losing the quills. I think the ones around the mouth area perhaps got moistened as she drank water?

      Perhaps they are breaking off but some remain embedded under her skin? Though thanks to the medication she is not having any swelling.

      I so wanted to get her spayed but it looks like she is once again pregnant :-(

      Thanks for your concern and for caring about these poor dogs that like you previously mentioned through no fault of their own live in the wrong jurisdiction where neither the city or the so call "animal rescue groups" are willing to help them. Shame on them!!!

      Delete
    2. I am so sorry to hear she might be pregnant again. What you need is some chloroform on a blanket to throw over her, and get her someplace to have her uterus removed. That dog should not be procreating another litter that will follow the life of strays. I don't know how you can keep from throwing up your hands in despair, but you are truly a good and caring woman!

      Delete
    3. It never occurred to me to use chloroform but now that you mentioned it, it might be worth looking into. I have only seen it done in soap operas to people.

      I was able to adopt out all five puppies of the next to last litter but only two puppies of her last one. I could have probably adopted out all five but she went and hid them. Now I only see Red (her son) who comes and visits her. I do not know if he is a stray because he looks good but often times he is hungry.

      Delete
  2. You have a good heart. I can not stand an animal suffering but it looks like mother nature is taking care of that dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, mother nature is being benevolant with Tammie.

      Delete
  3. Oh geez, not another litter?

    All I can say is, it's just too dang bad Tammie doesn't play as hard to get with the male dogs in the neighborhood as she does with you when you’re trying to put a leash on her!

    Now I'm even starting to think she'll be a lucky girl if those last few quills never come out.

    Because maybe if they do become a permanent facial feature, her boyfriends might have second thoughts about risking puncture wounds when they try to, erm, 'date' her again. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.