Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Outrageous fees for Lab work

My doctor will not give you your lab orders until almost close to your appointment date. Her staff said this is because most patients tend to lose them so to call a week before. That is exactly what I did last Monday. Had to call them on Tuesday and again on Wednesday before they finally had them ready. I was pretty pissed off because on Wednesdays I buy a lunch plate from this lady that I have mentioned on prior blog posts. I wanted to eat it without it affecting my lab results, in particular, my cholesterol test. So no dice had to save my plate for another day and settle for yet another salad :-(

It is a good thing I went early to Val Verde Regional Medical Center as it takes longer to fill out the paperwork than it does to get your labs done. I was given the bad news that as of January 2017 they no longer offered labs at $40.00 each for people like myself that do not have insurance.

The doctor had never ordered five tests before, I will ask her when I see her but I think her nurse messed up. To make a long story short they came at a cost of $1,197.32 but if I paid using a credit card they would give me a 50 percent discount and it would only cost $598.00 ...she told this to me with a straight face! Are they crazy? Do I look like a millionaire?  Told her I would have to go talk to my doctor because there was no way I could afford this with or without their generous discount.

That is exactly what I did but of course you only get to talk to the staff as she is with patients. They told me I did not have to get the test I was questioning but I needed the other four.  I had already made up my mind to have them done In Ciudad Acuna, Coahuila, Mexico whether they liked it or not but she was agreeable.

Went home to pick up my passport and off I went on my unplanned trip to Mexico. The price for all five tests was $1,365.00 Mexican Pesos at an exchange rate of $17.00 pesos to one US dollar $80.29.  By crossing the border I saved $517.71 US dollars.

It takes three hours to get the results so decided to treat myself to a trip to the beauty shop. I have been tinkering with the idea of highlighting my hair but chickened out at the end. She did give me some soft subtle ones and I am happy with them. Haircut, dye, style, facial wax and tip came to $500.00 Mexican Pesos for a US dollar equivalent of $29.41. I think I made out like a bandit on both instances.


Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

15 comments:

  1. You are very fortunate to be close enough to the border to have medical tests done there. The health care in this country for most people is going down the toilet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living on the border sometimes has its benefits. I think even if I lived in Houston I would have made the trip.

      Delete
  2. HOT DOG! You done good, girl.

    Our SPURS are done for the year but I am looking 2 years down the road to begin another dynasty - free agent market this year won't help BUT next year should work out great and give our youngsters another year to develop. Patience and diligence will pay off. Don't pay attention to the Chris Paul crap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more optimistic than I, with that said...I think it is going to take maybe 5 to 6 years before we are an NBA finals contender.

      There are too many factors this coming year, such as the possible Ginobili retirement, Parker's return after his injury...losing our favorite Australian Mills as well as Danny Green to free agency or trade.

      Given that the Golden State Warriors are a relative young team, we have to rely on the seasoning of our young players and that is going to take a while any way you look at it.

      Not too worried about the Chris Paul deal just like I never paid any attention to the Kevin Durant possible negotiation. Only wish someone had paid attention to the deal with LaMarcus, something I was always opposed to.

      Acquiring Chris Paul would be tantamount to signing Derrick Fisher...where is our pride?

      Delete
  3. It's insane what we pay even when we have insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.. I had some doctored ordered (& done at his office) blood work a month or so back, the usual stuff. The bill was just shy of a thousand dollars, the insurance deal/agreed amount kicked it down to eighty something & my share was $12. Reminds me of used car dealers...
    I'm glad Mexico worked out for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine how much more these tests would have costs at the doctors office. Lucky for you to have only had to pay twelve dollars.

      Delete
  5. Your hair... you only live once MsBelinda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still toying with the idea, we will see.

      Delete
    2. Post a pic of your new hairdo!

      Delete
    3. If I can ever figure out how to upload a picture from a cellphone to the blog, I will.

      Delete
    4. Very nice - wish I had hair like that instead of the Manu spot!

      Delete
    5. Only on Manu. Unfortunately.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.