Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Friday, August 25, 2017

Hurricane Harvey

I stayed up watching the Weather Channel, so when the alarm went off at 6:00 a.m. I turned it off and went back to sleep.  By 8:00 a.m. I was back monitoring said channel and saw that power outages were possible for our area. Knowing that we lose power at the drop of a hat decided to go purchase some additional canned goods, batteries, and water.

HEB was not packed like I expected and there was plenty of water available. Refilled mother's medication just to be on the safe side.  Later in the afternoon went to Walmart and purchased an additional trash can in case I needed it (to bail water). By this time their water supplies were running low. Saw a lot of people that were obviously fleeing the storm, many vehicles jammed packed with household belonging. It made me feel thankful that my family and I did not have to evacuate.

This hurricane came in as a Category 4 storm and it is going to be catastrophic. San Antonio, Austin, and Houston will be hard hit. The only major city in Texas that will not be affected is the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

I am glad Barney of OFM fame is not in Rockport at this time and that Billy Bob is no longer in Sinton, Texas.  I sincerely hope their family and friends are safe as the reports out of Port Aransas and Rockport are not good.  A senior center and a high school are reported to have collapsed with people in them in Rockport. News reports are constantly coming in with grim news.

Circumstances were so dire, Rockport mayor who issued a mandatory evacuation, told citizens who chose to stay, to write their name and social security number on their arm so they could be identified.

I have not had a chance to contact my Houston friends and neighbors but to those that read my blog and have not evacuated, please leave and come to Del Rio. We do not expect heavy rains or winds. Harvey's effects are expected to be minimal here. Everyone, please stay safe!

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

10 comments:

  1. We had a trip to San Antonio planned for a Lyle Lovett concert at the 1929 era Majestic Theater this weekend. We cancelled, then later the concert got rescheduled, yesterday. Only interstate highway out of Corpus is I-37....straight to San Antone. SA forecast for today is 8" of rain, and that city floods easily with the river running thru downtown. Hope y'all are okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of concerts and events were cancelled in San Antonio and Houston. You are right, San Antonio and Houston flood easily and that is the most dangerous aspect of this hurricane.

      Delete
  2. If I wasn't in Decatur Al then I would be in Del Rio. I looked at some Rockport pictures this morning and the damage is less intense that I expected. Lots of building damage but no cleaned of foundations like 140 mph wind would do. I also noticed a lot of pictures labeled as Rockport that were actually from other towns and hurricanes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not had a chance to look at the hurricane aftermath pictures. Only a person like yourself that makes Rockport home for most of the year would know that the pictures were not of Rockport but of other towns.

      Glad you are safe in Decatur.

      Delete
  3. So far it hasn't been too bad here in Cut & Shoot, TX, about 30 miles north of Houston. Of course, it may be far from over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear you are ok, and really surprised that you could get anything in a store. As you mentioned though, they will soon be running out. I've been thinking how lucky Barney timed his visit east. Hope you and your mother stay safe and dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect most people were panic shopping after looking at the television coverage. We have only had one light shower and are not expected to get any significant precipitation if at all. Indeed Barney timed his trip to Alabama in the nick of time.

      Delete
  5. Hope you don't have that heavy rain in your area and won't get flooded out. Good thing you went to the store when you did. Be safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully Del Rio was not impacted by hurricane Harvey. However my heart aches for all those people who are facing catastrophic flooding throughout the state.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.