Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, September 24, 2017

One hellish month

This past month has been one of the worst that I have had to live through.  While only Hurricane Harvey personally impacted me, Hurricane Irma and María plus three earthquakes in Mexico also took a toll on me.

My heart aches for all the Texans, Floridians, Puerto Ricans, people from the Dominican Republic, Cuba, and the Caribbean Islands.  There has been so much devastation caused by three major hurricanes in such a short time span.

My favorite uncle (mom's baby brother), as well as my cousin (the son of my mother's late sister), live in Mexico City.  As you can surmise my mother is not in the best of health and I had to think long and hard before I gave her the news.  It did not help that I was not able to get in touch with them as everyone was probably trying to do the same and saturated the already congested telephone lines.

I am so glad I dumped DISH because with Spectrum I have free long distance service in the USA, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic.  Within an hour I was finally able to contact them and ascertain that while shook up, they and their home had fared well. I am very sorry for all those people who lost it all and will never be able to go back into their homes to retrieve what little they have left because their apartments, condos, and houses are on the verge of collapsing and to do so could cost them their lives.

The first thing I do in the morning is turn on the television to CNN.  My heart skipped a beat to learn that there had been another earthquake with a 6.2 magnitude early this morning.  What the hell is going on?  Three major earthquakes in the span of less than a month?

Once again grateful that I have free long distance service and could reach my family. I could tell that my uncle was visibly shaken and I stayed on the line for almost two hours to help reassure him. Invited him to come stay with us but he declined.

If that was not enough the rhetoric between us and North Korea seems to be escalating and who in their right mind wants nuclear holocaust?  Dang, makes one wonder how much longer civilization as we know it will exist!  Sorry for all the doomsday talk but this has been one hellish month.

Good night.  Hope you all have Terlingua Dreams because I think I am going to have Doomsday nightmares...wish I was in Terlingua!




7 comments:

  1. I remember the World Series earthquake in the SF bay area back in the 80s, my Mom & sister were there. It was hours before I was able to find out that were ok. I'm glad your family came threw it ok!

    Mother Nature, well there is nothing I can do about that... But last week I was looking at things & wondered about how long our society was going to hold together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is another thing on my mind, the potential for a big earthquake in California. Glad your family came out of it ok.

      I feel for the Puerto Rican people who have not been able to reach their loved since Maria hit.

      At least the President is too preoccupied with the NFL this week to verbally attack the North Korean leader.

      Delete
  2. Glad to see a post from you. Yes this has been a very unsettling month. Good to hear your family is OK. I hadn't heard about the 3 rd earth quake I have been gathering close and things to donate and waiting to find out where the center is going to be located.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that should have said clothes

      Delete
    2. Don't worry JO I knew what you meant. While the focus has been on Mexico City since it is the capital of Mexico there is a great need in the states of Oaxaca and Chiapas where the first earthquake had its epicenter.

      These are two very poor states and hundreds of homes collapsed. The second quake affected other states closer to Mexico City and there is just as much need. I can assure you that your clothes donations will be very much appreciated.

      Delete
  3. I have been getting more bummed out by the day with all the bad news, worse since the elections a almost a year ago!

    Glad your family is safe - but I can only imagine how their lives have changed for now. My former boss is from Puerto Rico but lives in Florida, so I was relieved to hear she is ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gypsy, I can tell you that I share your sentiments. It seems that everything is just going to hell in a handbasket.

      Hope your former boss has been able to get in touch with her loved ones in the island. At least she is fortunate to be in Florida.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.