Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

A trip home

Just got back tonight from a week's stay at my home in Houston, Texas.  I am so grateful that Mom decided to accompany me on this trip as it was thanks to her sacrifice that I was able to pull it off.

While my neighborhood was spared the terrible flooding that Hurricane Harvey brought to Texas, I did not know for a fact that water had not gotten in through the old windows in my house or through the kitchen door where water manages to sip in during heavy downpours.  That is the manner how many of my neighbors were surprised by water damage in an otherwise unflooded area.

I am glad to report that there were no signs of water damage and a big weight lifted off my shoulders. I did not fare so well during Hurricane Ike back in September 2008 when the tree in my front yard took out my chimney and left a hole in my roof.  If that was not enough I also had my neighbor's tree fall on my bedroom. Thankfully both trees somehow managed to block water from coming inside my house.  To add insult to injury neither one of us had home insurance.  I have since rectified that situation.

Had a lot to do since the last time I was home was 14 months ago and prior to that three and a half years.  I went to bed every night almost dead from so much work but with a great sense of accomplishment.

I was going to take a TV with me but I am glad I chose not to as I do not think I could have accomplished as much as I did with one around.  I still had my phone if something important happened that I absolutely needed to know. Found that without a television set, mother and I had the opportunity to bond more.  My next posts will be about my trip home but this is all for tonight as I am very tired.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

14 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to get so much accomplished while in Houston.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bigfoot. I just read your blog and see that you too have been busy at your Terlingua cabin.

      Delete
  2. So much went well on so many fronts! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had no damage at your place in Houston. I also had no damage here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We lucked out Dizzy, there were many who weren't as fortunate.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you didn't take the TV, and that you and your Mom were able to spend some uninterrupted time together. So were you spared from water or wind damage for the most part?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Houston did not get wind damage as Hurricane Harvey made landfall near Corpus Christi, Texas. Houston got hit by the large and constant slow moving rain bands that flooded the city and surrounding counties to levels never seen before.

      Delete
  5. Yay!I am so,soooo glad you got back to your house & could confirm that it fared well through the storm & through your long absence.

    Also, I’m glad your Mom accompanied you, even if she could only offer emotional support, & you didn’t have to face walking in alone. (I’d have been paralyzed with dread.)

    Believe it or not, it’s actually a load off my *own* mind that you got that done, so I cannot even begin to imagine how relieved you must be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leilani. I was so fearful to just open the front door but knowing my mother was by my side no matter what we walked into was invaluable.

      Delete
  6. I'm sure it was a great relief to go home and find no damages to your house. Happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you going to TICC ?

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.