Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Time does not pass in vain

It has been a week today since we got back from Houston and I am still tired. You would have thought that instead of spending a week deep cleaning my house and pruning trees, I had spent a week partying in my favorite desert...time does not pass in vain :-(

This darn vertigo does not want to go away. In Houston, while on a ladder cleaning the ceiling fans or pruning trees I got dizzy and almost fell on more than one occasion.

Sunday morning I left mother listening to her church service as I made a quick trip into town. Came back to find her laying on the floor...while this is not the first time...it never gets any easier! I have a bad back and though she only weighs 92 pounds, there was no way I could get her up.

I do not know why she did not just stay in the dining room instead of dragging herself to the living room and further injuring herself.  She did not want me to call 911 because she did not want the neighbors to know...I could care less about the neighbors!  Two EMS ladies came to our rescue, got her up and bandaged her up.

I tried to remove the bandages yesterday as per their instructions but the gauze had stuck to the skin so decided to have her doctor do it.  She was put through the torture chamber but I think she has finally understood that if she falls she needs to stay put.

On a different note it had been seven years since mother had been to my house and at the time she mostly got around using her cane. Now she uses her walker and it quickly became clear that my house will not work for me in my "Golden Years".  The doors into both bathrooms are too small to maneuver using a walker and the only way in...is going in sideways.  Hopefully, I have a few more years before I have to address that issue.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


14 comments:

  1. We need to come up with ways to keep us safe from ourselves. Sorry your mom had a fall, maybe she thought she might be able to get on the couch or a chair. who knows what we think at times like that. Hope your vertigo clears up soon that has to be awful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry she had to go through that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry your Mom got hurt but glad it was not any worse. As we get older, it takes for ever to get over physical damage. I know, I still have ill effects from the last fall I took.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of you because there is an old Mexican-Indian saying that translates to "things can not be so bad, that they could not get worst"...I then remember reading on your blog that your Dad had always referenced a quote similiar to it.

      It could have been much worst than it was. I hope your wife is doing better from her fall as well as you.

      Delete
  4. Search Epley Manuver on YouTube for your vertigo. Help both my Mom and I with ours as well as another friend I recommended it to. Easy to do, so you are not out anything one way or the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I have a new Internet service provider with no caps, I will certainly look into it. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. A tough week!
    My wife's vertigo seems to have been caused by allegories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time I had it bad, taking allergy pills seemed to have done the trick. The problem is I have the pills but have no idea where and I did not want to buy anymore.

      Delete
  6. I hope your Mom is feeling better. I wonder if the elderly learn anything from their falls and other accidents - I think they forget and put themselves back into the same situations. I don't consider myself elderly yet, but I do the same things that have gotten me in trouble before.

    If you have vertigo I hope you stay off ladders until it clears up. Falling off a ladder is much worse than falling on the floor while walking, and you don't want to break a bone.

    I have a mobile home and the doorways are narrower than in a regular house. I bump into the door frames all the time when walking from room to room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordinarily would not get on a ladder with vertigo but not knowing when will be the next time I am able to return to Houston I had to tackle the clean up and the tree pruning.

      I guess I too do not learn my lesson :-(

      Delete
  7. Goodness. It's horrible that she suffered skin wounds, but it's just a miracle that your Mom hasn't broken any bones when she does this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what worries me most Leilani, that the next time she might break a bone :(

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.