Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Friday, November 17, 2017

When will I finally find a quality Internet Service Provider?

After three months with Spectrum, I can definitively say that the honeymoon is over!  Actually, it was over prior to that but I so wanted to give it a chance. Every two or three weeks I get a recorded call saying that they will be working on the equipment and that the telephone, as well as internet, will not be available from 12:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m.

This morning I tried to make a call only to see the telephone display "No Line". I had no idea where my last bill was so I could not locate a telephone number to call. Tried going online to report it but it was out as well.  My uncle calls my mother every night so she was not a happy camper.

By 3:00 p.m. I was furious and decided to drive into town to report it. Have I mentioned that I hate to wait in long lines?  After patiently (not really) waiting for 20 minutes...all they could offer me was to send a technician tomorrow...being that we have two doctor appointments...I had to decline.

Headed to HEB and once again found the whole town there, even ran into some friends from Ciudad Acuña. Could not help but note how ironic it was that Mexican residents come to Del Rio to shop even with the high dollar to peso ratio, while I go to Ciudad Acuña to exploit the favorable peso to dollar exchange.

With our trip to Houston and then my mother's fall, I have not had a chance to do a grocery run to Mexico. Thanksgiving is not celebrated in Mexico or at least I thought it wasn't.  My friends informed me that they liked this tradition and have adopted it along with many other Mexican citizens that reside along the border with the United States.

Here I thought that Mexicans came to purchase turkeys for their Christmas as well as New Year's dinner as turkeys are very expensive in Mexico.

While they informed me that that was indeed the case, the Mexican government was wise to it and now banned the entrance of turkeys (seemingly to protect the national product) until close to Thanksgiving if not on that very day.

This evening (which is now yesterday) both the telephone and internet came back on to my mother's delight.  How I wish Google Fiber would see fit to bring their service to this area...but I won't hold my breath on that :-(

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

10 comments:

  1. When I left Minnesota back in 2003 we had fiber-optic cable at the mailbox along our dirt road (almost 2 miles from the tar road).
    The telephone co-op was putting it in. When we settled in WA state, in the shadow of Microsoft itself all we could get was dial up.. Not enough profit in running the cable the 1/4 mile from the main road to our subdivision for the 'for profit' phone company.
    I'm just talking....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Del Rio we do not even have DSL. Terlingua who has a small population has high speed internet from their local telephone company.

      Delete
  2. I always envy you who live in small towns and rural areas, but I guess I don't have it bad as far as internet access goes. I don't have tv or a smart phone, so I'm fairly content.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Del Rio for years had very little access to Wi-Fi, we did not even have it at the local library. Great strides have been made in the past four years.

      While living in a small town can have its benefits, I would prefer living in a larger city with access to medical centers, entertainment, restaurants, retail stores and jobs.

      Delete
  3. I went to the Neighborhood Grocery today and was surprised not to see a lot of people and I hope I bought all the things I need to make my pies and my other shares for Thanksgiving Dinner at my grandson's house.
    I know the frustrations of internet. I have never heard of Google Fiber think I should look into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you were able to get all the things for your Thanksgiving celebration without encountering large crowds.

      Google Fiber is only available in limited areas. Only two cities in Texas have it...Austin and San Antonio (in limited areas). Since our TV channels come from San Antonio that is how I learned about it.

      Delete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your mom plus all your readers here!

    GSG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, likewise!

      As far as YOUR Spurs are concerned...I switched the channel and watched the OKC Thunder beat up on the Golden State Warriors...it was wonderful!

      Delete
    2. MY SPURS are going to win the trophy this year. You should get back on board OUR bandwagon. GSG

      Delete
    3. As much as it pains me to admit this I think the Golden State Warriors are going to be winners of the trophy for many years to come.

      I do not know how we always end up blowing big leads. Why torture myself? Much rather switch channels and watch a team I deeply dislike get their butts whipped.

      What is the harm in that? I will go back to being a loyal Spurs fan tomorrow night...happy?

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.