Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

December 2017 trip to Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila - Mexico

My uncle had sent us a package after we got back from Houston but it did not arrive in Ciudad Acuña until after my mother's fall. We finally had a chance to go pick it up yesterday.

There was very little traffic going to Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila but OMG the traffic heading back to Del Rio was backed up past the toll booths in Mexico!  Maybe December 26th was not the best day to head there but it is only going to get worst in the following days as more people who headed to Mexico for the holidays make their way back home.

I was hoping the line would go down but there is a cable channel on Mexican television that lets you look at the cameras at the international bridge and gauge the traffic flow.  It was evident the line was only getting worst.

I did make a stop at Aurrera but at the small one in the central part of Ciudad Acuña. The price of tomatoes remains high so the only vegetables I bought were papaya and a hand full of serranos. The high peso to dollar ratio is really affecting the pockets of the regular Mexican citizen. One has to take into account that the minimum wage in Mexico depending on the exchange rate fluctuates between $4.00 and $4.25 US dollars.  In Mexico, the minimum wage is not per hour but per day.

As expected when we arrived at the Mexican toll booths they were backed up. Some people were turning around but we had no other choice but to proceed.  It took us 2 hours 11 minutes to cross to the USA. You know how I feel about waiting in lines.

It pisses me off that we have two international bridges in Del Rio but the one at Amistad Dam closes at 5:00 p.m.  I think during high congestion holidays like Christmas, New Year's and Easter they should be open at least till 10:00 p.m.  However, I do not think the Department of Homeland Security is interested in my opinion.

I need to mention that there is one special lane called Express Lane (or something to that effect) this is for people who do not have anything to declare. They usually only have one lane open but today they had two. By the time I realized it, they was no way anybody was going to let me cut into the other lanes. I apologized to the officer whom I have to say was very understanding and kind.

We got back just in time because it started drizzling as soon as we cleared US Customs. Today was a cloudy, cold and wintery day. I am glad we went to Mexico yesterday as I do not think I would have wanted to go today.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.




22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Lol, I was sitting in line while the game was on last night. I decided to watch the rebroadcast but fell asleep on the third quarter. Did manage to tape it but have yet to watch it...glad we won though.

      Delete
    2. It wasn't a very exciting game. OUR Spurs are really coming together. If we stay healthy it will be ring #SEIS this year! GSG!!!!

      Delete
    3. I am watching the second quarter of the Knicks game and though we got off to a good start, it is a little too close for comfort.

      Delete
    4. No worries! NYK played in Chicago last nite ... they'll poop out.

      Delete
  2. 2 hr + in line? Some days are like that but that's not the how it always is is it?

    Gas prices went up here.. $2.39 was the best I could find yesterday & that was for the 2000 Toyota we just bought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately that is not the way it usually is except during the Christmas holidays, New Year's and Easter.

      I usually try to stay away from Mexico during these heavy traffic periods but mother insisted on going since the package had been at her friend's house for two months.

      I have not watched the news but it seems I overheard something about an explosion overseas that is responsible for this new price hike. Have not had a chance to fact check that though.

      Glad you found yourself a new ride.

      Delete
  3. I hate waiting in lines, also, unless I am in my motorhome. Then I just get up, go to bathroom and then get something to much on out of the fridge. That is one advantage of traveling in an RV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not have an RV Dizzy but even if I did I would not take it to Mexico on a regular everyday trip. The streets in Ciudad Acuña are quite narrow. However, the main reason would be having to clear US Customs...I have seen how thoroughly they examine RV's.

      Delete
    2. When I was coming back from near the border in south west Texas, I had to go through one of those US Customs check points. Of course they had to look through the RV, but they were not too thorough. Never noticed all my guns (grin). Hey, I wouldn't leave them back at an empty house, now would I?

      Delete
    3. Oh yes, maybe they didn't like our dogs.

      Delete
    4. Dizzy you went through a Border Patrol checkpoint within the United States. An ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) search at the border is different and much more thorough because you are coming back from being in Mexico.

      You have to have your dogs in a leash and restrained when you cross an International Bridge. A K-9 dog will also sniff your RV on the outside and depending on the officer possibly the inside as well.

      Delete
    5. I failed to mention that under no circumstances can you cross guns or ammunition into Mexico. There are huge signs before leaving the United States letting you know that.

      Penalty...jail!

      Delete
  4. 2 hours in a queue?? Hectic. Would put me clean off.

    Glad you weren't caught up in the cold - we even saw the warnings for it here in South Africa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dani!

      It has been cool but nothing like in other places in the United States, we are lucky in that respect.

      Delete
  5. I would have been in a pretty terrible mood after waiting that long to cross the border. I was never known for my great patience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was going to be in a bad mood as well, like you patience is not one of my virtues.

      What kept me grounded was all the Mexican street vendors who were selling their wares to us Americans sitting in the long lines. I saw people of all ages including children (the saddest part for me) helping their parents sell their products.

      I am not a religious person but the saying "There but for the grace of God go I" was never more appropriate. It made me value all I have and what my parents have given me.

      It made me sad that it was cold and it started to drizzle as we cleared Customs but that those poor people had no other choice but to keep working.

      Delete
  6. I would have been really crabby and in a state waiting like that in line. Long grocery lines are more than I can stand. But your right it will only get worse as the crowds start heading back to the U.S. border.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have already told mother that unless it is a matter of life or death we will NOT be going to Ciudad Acuña during the peak travel season.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for reminding us how well off many of us are and that some parents and their kids have to work for peanuts in the cold drizzle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hachita, sometimes I have to remind myself just how lucky I am and on this particular trip it became evident that my measly little problems paled by comparison.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.