Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Power Outage

Finally had some time to spend surfing the web this afternoon only to have it cut short by a power outage. While this is nothing new in the area my mother lives, it was surprising to find out that it was countywide. Power was out from Laughlin Air Force Base (LAFB) to Comstock, Texas.

We received a satellite call from the City of Del Rio, twenty minutes after power had been restored advising the population that parts of Lake Amistad area were still without electricity. They urged us not to call 911 unless it was a true emergency.

I chose the wrong day to try to acclimate my system to drinking coffee again. For those new to my blog...coffee is not my friend...it makes me nervous and jittery. You might ask yourself..." then why do you drink it? "  I drink it because if I don't, I tend to want to fall asleep when I drive long distances.

Since my mother's fall and subsequent back problems, we have not had to drive to San Antonio, however, we have an upcoming trip to that city.  I currently have a headache and I feel like vomiting.  Tried to take a nap during the outage but was unable to do so. It would have been an excellent opportunity to get some yard work done but decided to pass...though I know full well it will come back to bite me :-(

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

16 comments:

  1. Hope you get feeling better. Try to get some rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was taking 10 & 12 hrs drives (we had a place in Minnesota) I found that a good book on tape (or CD) could keep me awake. I had to get into the story but it worked well.

    I need a cup of coffee in the morning or things are not well!

    I hope this works out for you MsBelinda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was driving by myself a CD played on high would help me...it has in the past...however, mother dislikes my choice of music and I do not feel comfortable driving with headphones.

      When I was in my 20's my doctor at the time told me that I suffered from "highway hypnosis". In my lifetime there has only been one other person that I knew that had been given the same diagnosis, however, she was worst off than I.

      Delete
    2. Not music, a story CD. Something to grab your mind & keep you awake.
      I once arrived at 330 in the morning and sat in the car for another 10 minutes to hear the end of the story.
      They should have some at your local library.

      Delete
    3. A story CD would have to be very captivating to keep me from getting sleepy and or bored.

      It might be worth giving it a shot, at this point I will try anything. Next stop...library!

      Delete
  3. Since the Teams generate their own electricity we did not know about the power outage until about 1800 this evening when a neighbor told us about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did he get caught up in it when he was in town?

      Delete
  4. We buy organic Mexican Chiapas coffee beans on Amazon and grind them. I think it comes pre-ground also. Most coffees have been processed with toxic chemicals and can cause bad side effects. The decaf stuff is the worst.

    I am the opposite of you. Coffee puts me to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not have a coffee maker Janet. I use instant coffee at home and on the road I buy it at convenience stores.

      Delete
    2. We use a french press as we don't have a coffee maker either. My sister in law was getting sick drinking coffee. She switched to organic and the problem went away.

      Delete
    3. It might be worth looking into, thank you Janet.

      Delete
  5. That's to bad you have that problem. Driving while wanting to sleep can be a dangerous thing, but driving and feeling sick isn't any better. Hope you can find a solution before your trip
    Feel Better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason I was feeling ill was a side effect of the coffee I drank since I had not had some in five months.

      I have no other choice but continue to consume it and allow my body to once again get used to it. Tomorrow I will water it down more.

      Delete
  6. I would suggest making it very weak to start out with and then gradually increase the strength. I never did drink really strong coffee, and probably make it the same way and strength I did when I started years ago. I've never liked tea but they say it also has caffeine, but probably not as much as coffee. I only drink coffee in the morning when I get up, and it's almost the best part of my day. I buy organic beans and grind them every morning - perfection! Oh also, if you are drinking it black you might want to add some milk or 1/2 & 1/2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gypsy, I made it weak or so I thought. One tablespoon in a 30oz coffee tumbler and I kept on adding water as I sipped on it. I think next time I will add milk to it, thanks.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.