Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Physical Therapy / Uruguay

Last week mother's podiatrist suggested she go to physical therapy to strengthen her legs after the fall she took last October.  Thought it was a great idea and today was her evaluation appointment. They even managed to work in a couple of exercises.

It was hot today, it got to 97 degrees and the next couple of days will be in the 100's.  I love Texas but I need to find another state or country to spend the hot summer months...preferably south of the equator.

I enjoy watching HGTV and wish I had the guts to up and move to a faraway location like many of the people featured in their shows.  Though the majority come from cold places in the north of the U.S. and Canada and end up moving to tropical paradises.

Tropical paradises are not my thing.  While they are beautiful sooner or later it will end up being hit by a tornado, tropical storm or worst yet a hurricane.  I already had my share of hurricane drama when hurricane Ike hit Houston back in 2008.

This past weekend on Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown they featured the country of Uruguay and I fell in love.  Being that Uruguay is in the southern hemisphere the seasons are opposite to ours. Right now it is Fall and summers are warm but pleasant.  I can always dream, can't I?

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.




10 comments:

  1. I'm at a point in life where winter is for someplace not cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be at that point myself but luckily Del Rio has mild winters.

      Delete
  2. The problem with countries in Central and South America is that their governments can be unstable. Ha! Ours is a little unstable now too. Maybe Uruguay would be a good place to move to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On Anthony Bourdain they gave a political history of Uruguay. Like you mentioned their government was unstable until the late 80's (If I remember correctly but you know how my CRS is).

      They are a democratic country now with an unbelievable rate of citizens showing up at the polls (it was in the high 90%).

      They have free nationalize health care, free education including college. They also made marihuana legal both for personal consumption as well as for medical use. I have seen the effects of chemotherapy on my mother and I would have liked for her to have had the option of medical marihuana which is not available in Texas.

      Not thinking about a move to Uruguay, just a place to vacation during the summer months.

      Delete
  3. Are you going to change your blog name to "Uruguay Dreams"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, as I do not plan to move there...perhaps just a place to escape to during our hot Texas summers.

      Delete
    2. One last thought - if you changed your blog name to "Mom's place in Del Rio" you'd already be living your dream!

      Go Rockets

      Delete
    3. Living in Del Rio has never been "my dream". Moving here was not my idea, I was a kid and had no choice but to move with my parents.

      I finished college in three years because I so wanted to be independent and start working as soon as possible. I do not know why my father was so shocked when I told him I had no plans to return to Del Rio. I kept my promise for 30 years and you know the rest of the story.

      Delete
  4. I hope the PT works well for you mom.
    I'm with you I want to move out of Tucson so bad, and would love to move up northern AZ but man when the droughts hit like now and the fires get going it is very scary. Of course down here it isn't much better with all the fires in the open areas of the desert. Seem we just can't win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping the PT is beneficial for her as well.

      We have the opposite problem of people that live up north...our summers are brutal. I do not know what I would do without air conditioning!

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.