Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, June 9, 2018

Lost my cable connection and it is all my fault...

It is not like I did not have any warning or did not know that Spectrum was going 100% digital the fifth of June.  They mailed notices and left voice messages to that effect and still, I took no action.

When I signed up with Spectrum last August I made sure that I had a cable connection in the kitchen. You might ask yourself...why would you do that if you don't even cook?  I may not cook but I have to heat up the food I buy.  I also do laundry, pay bills, wash dishes, go online, listen to the news and watch my Spurs games from the same place.

The Spectrum people told me I could have a third connection without a cable box if I had a Smart TV, which sounded good to me as I have to pay $6.99 each for the two receivers I do have in my bedroom and the living room.

The living room connection is for my mother to watch the news and her favorite show Lawrence Welk. My bedroom has the free DVR where I am able to catch up on shows or games I am not able to watch otherwise.  This brings me to another point, why is it that I can not save the shows I have recorded on the DVR to a thumb drive or another location?  I asked them that question and they said it was not available at this time.  I could have sworn I read on one of the many blogs I follow that someone was able to do that with no problem, but with this darn CRS...I do not recall which blogger said this :-(

Anthony Bourdain 1956-2018



I would be remiss if I did not mention his passing.  Without a TV connection in the kitchen, I did not find out about his death by suicide until late in the afternoon when I read it online.

It hit me hard, it was as though a personal friend had passed. I admired his unique style of reporting, his shows were about food but if you paid attention it was really about the people in the many countries he visited.

He never shied away from his personal struggles during his twenties with addiction to both cocaine and heroin.  A lesser man would not have been able to overcome this.  I will miss him and his shows. To his family and friends, I hope loving memories ease their loss and bring them comfort and healing.


8 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what it is you lost, maybe you had an older TV in the kitchen?

    When I want to do something with the computer & I don't know how I ask google. An example might be 'how do I save movies from the DVR to a USB thumb drive?'. Sometimes I need to reword my search after I see what I get but I "generally" can find someone who has done it & how to do it...

    Good luck Ms Belinda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kitchen television connected to cable by plugging directly to the TV and one did not need an additional cable box. It is a newer smart television.

      With Spectrum going 100 percent digital it now requires a cable box or it gets no signal. I think it is just a way for Spectrum to make more money and charge an additional $6.99 for the now required box.

      I will try to do a Google search because I am running out of space on the DVR and frankly I do not believe the Spectrum guy.

      Delete
  2. Now you "need" a box! I understand and agree your $7/month guess :-)
    Good luck with the DVR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't help as I got rid of my cable a long time ago. I got sick of the rising cost and nothing new ever seemed to be on it was all reruns that I had been seeing for years. My daughter has a smart TV and loves it, but kids know how all that stuff works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all the years I lived in Houston I never even entertained the idea of having cable. There were a lot of free channels to choose from and frankly I was way too busy to watch television.

      In Del Rio if you do not have cable you have a blank televison set. This area gets its local channels from San Antonio, Texas 144 miles east of here.

      Not being able to watch my Spurs, CNN, HGTV and my other favorite channels would probably "kill me" as there is absolutely NOTHING to do in Del Rio at least nothing that interests me.

      Delete
  4. Every now and then I'd like to see what is on TV, but now I've gone over a year without it and really don't miss it except when I'm really bored. I may go back to it some day though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You live in a big market and I am sure if you had a TV you could probably get a lot of channels without having to pay for cable. Unfortunately, we do not have that option in Del Rio.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.