Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Dead battery

Was ready to head into town when I got that clicky purring noise indicative of a dead battery. So what is a girl to do when she has no mechanical aptitude?  Place a call to Triple-A (American Automobile Association) of course.  This is one of those "gems" that I would NEVER do without.

They have come to my rescue since I was 21 years old...dead batteries, flat tires, towing service, maps, traveler's checks, passport pictures, International drivers license...now I sound like a commercial :)  You may not always need it but when you do, it is a lifesaver and you do not have to bother your friends or neighbors...PRICELESS!!!

Once they jumped me I headed straight for AutoZone.  Batteries have certainly gone up in five years! Bought the same Duralast Gold Battery with a 5-year warranty with tax and special battery sales fee spent a grand total of $177.80.

I am so grateful that this happened today as tomorrow we have a doctor's appointment and we would have probably had to cancel and incur a fee for not giving a 24-hour notice.  We also have an upcoming trip to San Antonio where I would hate to be stranded in a hot car waiting on a tow truck.  All in all, it turned out to be a good day.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad it not only worked out ok, it happened at the perfect time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been giving lots of thought to my battery lately, I have had my truck for 4 yrs now and it still has the same battery. I should give it a check and see how strong it is. I always turn off my a/c when I shut down the engine as I was told starting the engine with it on is a strain on the battery I'm not sure that's true but I rather not risk it. I'm happy you had it happen today rather then when you had app. and not making them or getting stuck on the road. I can't believe the prices of batteries these days. Well lets face it nothing is cheap anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JO, you can have your battery checked for free at most Auto Parts stores.

      The lady service tech that came to jump my vehicle told me that my battery would more than likely need to be replaced because it had a lot of acid on the terminals.

      That took me by surprise because I figured they would have mentioned that to me at the Toyota dealership where I have it serviced.

      No one had mentioned to me the strain on the battery before, I always leave the A/C on. My battery lasted 5 years 3 months so I think I got my money's worth and hopefully this one lasts me just as long.

      Delete
  3. While your terminals are nice and clean, give them a good thick coat of Vaseline. It keeps the corrosion away for a long time. FYI

    ReplyDelete
  4. AAA has saved my rear end too many times for me to count over the years. Especially if you are a woman, that membership card is worth its weight in gold & is an essential, non-negotiable item in the annual budget. After all, Tall Weathered Cowboys™ can't be looking out for us everywhere we go & AAA can always be counted on to come to the rescue when they can't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that AAA is well worth the membership fee. I haven't driven in quite a while and am thinking about giving it up, but maybe just one more year will keep me happy. I need to get a bunch of maps as I can spend hours looking at them, remembering and dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you know technology is not my thing. I also prefer maps over GPS and I love all the ones available to members.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.