Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Friends / Decluttering / Landfill

I have heard from three dear friends this past week it is as if they had planned it when in actuality they do not know one another.

I was surprised that two of them are going through the same thing as myself...trying to declutter and downsize. I really need to make headway in my efforts.

The first obstacle I face is the fact that we do not have any donation centers with the exception of a local church.  However, I once caught our mechanic two times removed whose shop was next to their trash bin going dumpster diving.

According to him, they threw out a lot of stuff which he salvaged and then took to his cousin in Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila to sell at a garage sale.  I do not actually care if my donations go to a third party but I do have a problem with them ending up at the landfill.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


12 comments:

  1. Anything to keep stuff out of the landfill is always good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Giving to charity is just a step along the road to the landfill. It does give your trash (& mine) a chance at reuse but it is just another step in the lifespan of something.

    There was a recycle store (Rockport maybe?) where donations were labeled once they hit the sales floor and after awhile (2 months?) as they were reduced in price and finally hit the time limit & went into the dumpster out back. That's where folks who were really looking for a bargain found free stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not looked at it from that point of view but you are right, it will all eventually end up at the landfill...I just don't want it to go directly there.

      Delete
    2. Yep it is in Rockport and named Castaways.

      Delete
    3. Castaways! That was the place... thanks!

      Delete
  3. The header picture of the Terlingua Dreams sign along with all the stuff packed up is a good one!
    I like the pillow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would box up donations and let the mechanic know he can take them to anyone who can use (or sell) them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good idea except he passed away a couple of years ago.

      Delete
  5. I have been able to sell some of my stuff lately so that makes me happy. And they want more! the lesser things will go to Big Brothers Big Sisters and luckily they will pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are making a lot of progress in your attempt to downsize. So glad you were able to sell some items.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.