Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Recycling Day / Propane Guy

I was under the impression that it was going to be another cold, gray day. As I made my way outside to feed the cats was surprised to see the sun was shining brightly and at least if you stood under it, it actually felt warm.

Took the opportunity to charge the solar lights that I use as night lights inside the house. The weather is going to go downhill for the next two days so decided to go pick up some groceries.  I now shop exclusively at Little HEB or Dollar Tree.  I can not handle the masses at the Big HEB or Walmart.

Took the opportunity to get rid of my aluminum cans and made $7.70.  Then headed to the City of Del Rio Recycling facility and dropped off our plastics, metal cans and paper products. Felt good to keep these items out of the landfill but most importantly out of the house.

Today was trash day, I was taking one last item before the truck arrived when this huge Propane truck stopped in front of the house.  I did not recognize the name so I figured they might be lost and lord and behold it was my former propane guy who all of a sudden quit about two years ago and I could not locate him after that.

Talk about knowing the area...he knows everyone especially where they live.  Told me he was now working for this outfit out of Eagle Pass and was coming into Del Rio twice a week.  He gave me his card and I will be giving him a call as soon as I need some more propane.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

10 comments:

  1. A lot of walmarts are open all night, shopping is different at 11pm, or 2am if you have different sleeping hours. But I don't know about your walmart or what people are out & about at that time in your area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Walmart is open 24 hours as well. When I lived in Houston I used to go shopping between 3:00 a.m. to 4:00 a.m. after all the people had safely made it home from the bars. I loved it had the store to myself.

      I can no longer do that because my night vision leaves a lot to be desired. I only drive at night if it is absolutely necessary or an emergency.

      Delete
  2. I like shopping usually 6 am before the stores get busy, so peaceful then. Nice to get money in your cans we get that back home in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a morning person it would be hard for me to make it to the store at that hour. Right now it is still dark at 6:00 a.m. That is the only good thing about Daylight Savings Time it will stay lighter longer.

      It was nice to be paid for my cans.

      Delete
  3. After shopping with my wife at Wal-Mart, it doesn't take long before my right knee stiffens up and it gets really painful to walk. I call it my "Wal-Mart Knee". My wife says it is just because I don't like to shop. She may be right, I don't like to shop, I just go buy what I want without all that shopping around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That must have been a nice surprise - seeing your propane guy. How often do you have to replenish your supply? Im glad that's one less thing I have to keep track of.

    We have a recycling pickup every other week, but my daughter and I save our cans and bottles to take to a local center where they pay per pound of them. I hope she makes a trip soon because I'm overloaded with beer bottles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pleasant surprise as I had no idea what had happened to him. My propane supply lasts a while in particular because as you know I seldom cook.

      The last time I filled up they sent me a coupon (I think it was for $20.00 off) saying they wanted me back since it had been one year since I had called them. I was surprised I had gone so long without replenishing it.

      Our local recycling center does not accept glass so like it or not it has to go in the trash.

      Delete
  5. I'm happy your old propane guy showed up, it's nicer when you know who's coming to your house. They claim to recycle with our trash pickup but I watch them and they just throw everything all together in the truck. I can almost bet they don't go through all the trash to pick out the recyclable stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly helps to know who comes to your home, he had been mother's provider for years and we had followed him from company to company for that same reason.

      The city provides a medium size container for recycling but it does not have a cover to protect it from the dust, rain or dogs lifting their leg. I therefore prefer to take it to the recycling center myself.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.