Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Cats / Crows / Leilani / Popular Places / Whataburger

Even though I went to bed early (for me) I was wide awake by 4:30 a.m. Managed to go back to sleep until the cats running on the roof woke me up again.  I ignored them until I heard the crows going crazy and I knew one of the cats had once again gotten a hold of another bird. One of these days those mean crows are going to peck one of the boys to death!

Needed to mail a card and make some more copies so headed to the library. Today was not as humid as yesterday and only reached 89 degrees.

I was sure I had brought the card I was going to mail with me but seems I somehow left it at home...darn CRS!!!  Now I will have to make a return trip tomorrow...oh well :-(

Only when I go to the library do I actually get to read the Del Rio News Herald.  Leilani, if you are reading me you are in luck.  I had mentioned on a prior post that the local newspaper holds an annual survey of the best of a long list of things in our town...such as:

Breakfast Tacos
Regular Tacos
Bar-b-q
Barbacoa (it is different from bar-b-q)
Fajitas
Hamburgers
Menudo
Pizza
Seafood
Soups
Steaks...everything food
Doctors
Nurses
Bartenders
Mechanics...you get the point

Leilani wanted to see if I could recommend a local place that made good tacos but apart from Stripes I had no idea as I seldom frequent restaurants other than fast food joints.  Here are three recommendations of recent winners courtesy of the Del Rio News Herald.








Speaking of Fast Food joints I was famished as I only had eaten cereal for breakfast so decided to head to Wendy's to cool off with one of their .50 cents Frosty.  On the way there I saw a practically empty parking lot at Whataburger something odd at 6:00 p.m.  Decided to forgo my Frosty and indulge in a Monterey Melt instead.


Since I have no idea how to insert a watermark in my pictures...what better way to personalize my photo than with my Betty Boop purse in the background :D

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

18 comments:

  1. I always loved whataburger best for fast food burgers. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy Dairy Queen, Whataburger and Sonic in that order.

      Delete
  2. Been a long time since we have been to Whattaburger great food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I could cook delicious healthy plates like you cook daily I would not even crave a Whataburger.

      Delete
  3. The Monterey Melt... Oh ya.... Maybe the end of 2019 or early 2020 before I get back to a Whataburger.

    I use 3x5 cards as a way to remember. I make a list of where & why and put it in my shirt pocket and look at it before I leave the house! This gives me a far better chance of getting it all done.
    Last time instead of just a pack of 100 cards & bought the 300 pack.
    An example...

    Post office-mail card
    library for copies
    walmart
    bread
    eggs
    laundry soap

    I toss the card when I'm finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I followed your advice a while back but instead of index cards used cereal boxes cut down to size. Then I got lazy and yesterday I paid the consequences.

      Delete
  4. El Palenque is usually very good. Right across the street from Whataburger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everytime I pass by there I think of you but again I have never stopped to eat there. Do they make good tacos? I think that is what Leilani was interest in eating.

      Delete
  5. Your post makes me hungry when I've eaten plenty today. For some reason I can't eat beef very often, so that leaves out hamburgers for me.

    I have never liked cats because they kill birds and I prefer birds so much more! There were several feral cats in my old neighborhood and I didn't like them and they didn't like me! To be fair, I never saw a mouse as long as I lived there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consume a lot of chicken but my favorite has always been beef. However, my nurse practitioner made me cut back but I allow myself to eat what I want one day a week.

      The cats eat birds out of instinct whether they are house or feral cats. I do not like when they do that, so I buy them collars with bells but they are too fast and nab the birds anyway. It may sound harsh but I do not mind when they eat crows or pigeons...those birds poop all over the place and give me nothing but work.

      I guess I am a cat person because they are a lot like me...independent, aloof, curious and with a sense of adventure.

      Delete
  6. Ha! I had a Monterrey Melt yesterday too! (well half, I can't ever eat the whole thing in one sitting so I enlist my dog's help.)

    Thanks for the heads up about the DR News Herald Best of Issue! I don't always trust those Best of City Lists because restaurant owners & employees can stack the results, but they're def. a good place to start so I went looking & found the whole issue online here:

    https://issuu.com/delrionewsherald)/docs/best_of_del_rio_2019)

    So whaddyaknow, I checked out Julio's website & they make the bagged chips now found statewide (carried over here to my local HEB all the way from Del Rio, apparently) and have a restaurant attached to their factory on Hwy 90 about halfway to Laughlin AFB. And yesssss! They have a drive through open at 6AM! Folks can wear their pjs to pick up breakfast!

    http://julioscornchips.com/history.html

    Their patriarch Julio's little house where the Garcia family's burgeoning tortilla chip empire originally started (at 410 Ave B, near Big HEB in DR) is still painted in Julio's bag colors - at least it still was when Google Streets photographed it in 2013 - but I don't think it's a business now.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leilani, I had never read a complete issue before do not even know when or how they vote. I only see the award plaques at different establishments or doctor's offices.

      I was wondering how you had gotten it when the Del Rio News Herald will not allow you to read anything besides the first sentence without making you pay to read the complete article.

      I will have to go check the Ave B original location and see what is there now.

      The Garcia family worked really hard to attain their success and it was a total family endeavour. It makes residents of this border town proud to have one of their own reach the big leagues.

      Delete
  7. Oops. I botched that issuu link somehow. Try this:

    https://issuu.com/delrionewsherald/docs/best_of_del_rio_2019

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all the research you do to help this little blog of mine :)

      Delete
  8. I keep notes and reminders on my phone, but sometimes I don't hear the alarm or go grocery shopping and realize I left the phone at home. Yep CRS!!
    I haven't had a Whatburger in many many years. I guess because there isn't one near here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely hate cellphones only have one in case I breakdown on the road and need to call Triple A. I usually forget and end up leaving mine at home as well or inside my car.

      Do you guys have Dairy Queen or Sonic in your area?

      Delete
    2. We have them all just that Whataburger isn't close to me but all the other ones are. I try not to eat at any of them but sometimes just have to give in

      Delete
    3. In your case you are always cooking healthy and delicious meals and enjoy doing so.

      The "culinary fairy" skipped a generation in my case as I neither like or enjoy cooking then throw in my laziness for good measure and I am the "dream client" for fast food establishments.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.