Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, May 19, 2019

Heavy thunderstorm / Mason-Foster House

Once again the weather forecasters were wrong.  I even turned to the news at 10:00 p.m. even though I was watching a very boring NBA semi-finals game.  No chance for severe weather they said only 10 percent chance of rain.

How wrong they were!!!  A little after 4:17 a.m. the thunder and lightning began and the skies opened up...followed by a loss of power.  Good thing I had charged my solar lights yesterday.

Without electricity, I did not know the City of Del Rio Emergency Management system had sent a robocall message at 5:43 a.m. saying that the city and surrounding communities were under an Area Flood Advisory. Since 4:43 a.m. heavy rains had fallen and we had received 2 inches in the past hour.  So much for ten percent chance of rain!

Today we had a high of 91 with a heat index of 98 degrees. We are going to be experiencing temperatures in the mid to high 90's into next week with storms.

Going to make an early post because tonight I have to watch one of my NBA games.  I sure hope it is not as boring as the one last night.

Mason - Foster House

The other day that I was headed to Frontera Road I noticed that this old historic house had been sold.  I tried to recall what it once looked like when I was younger but with my CRS I can not remember.


This is one of many old mansion with Historical Markers in Del Rio


 The house is in bad shape. 


 I hope whoever bought it restores it to its former glory.



Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

16 comments:

  1. Oh my! Here are some interior shots. This doesn't say how much it went for but it was last listed at under $200K! Lotsa $$$ work required, but it's got 1.73 acres! (it'd take Pollito a year to mow that, though.)

    Seriously, why would you want to leave Del Rio? There are some really cool places off that highway. Who knew?

    https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/123-Hudson-Dr_Del-Rio_TX_78840_M87295-07933#photo0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Leilani. I knew I could count on you to find the listing. You are the Terlingua Dreams official unpaid research department!

    The photos of the backyard shows the house to be in worst shape than the front. House is kind of creepy inside as well. I hope that the head of the renovation team has a Joanna Gaines type of vision.

    Just from looking at it I would have never guessed it sat on 1.73 acres and you are definitively right about how long it would take Pollito to mow it...jajajajaja!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you survived the storm. And can deal with the heat. The looks like and interesting historical home, Hope it gets restored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good thing I no longer trust "weather forecasters" and that I was able to free up 102 gallons of water catchment storage and add more gallons to the stock I have on hand.

      I would not necessarily say that I can deal with the heat. It has become a factor that may send me in the future to cooler places either in the north of the country or to South America for the summer months.

      Delete
    2. The heat is different when you get away from the humidity.

      Delete
    3. I do not know Rob even without humidity in Terlingua where locals call it a "dry heat" it still gets pretty hot.

      Maybe I will do like the Canadian do and come down to the South for the fall and winter months. I will go to Argentina or Uruguay to spend spring and summer since the seasons are opposite.

      Delete
  4. Are you anywhere near low ground? With the flood advisory and all that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are. We are at the bottom of a hill. My parents had a cinder block fence built not only to keep out snakes but also the water running down from it. Unfortunately a couple of years ago it rained six inches in one night and it took out a portion of the fence but not enough to flood us.

      Delete
  5. I used to dream of finding an old house I could restore to its former beauty. Now I'd never want to tackle anything like that, but I hope whoever bought the house does a grand job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After being a fan of HGTV for years it re-enforced my believe that there was no way I could ever handle a fixer upper unless I had a Joanna Gaines on my team.

      Joanna Gaines does not take jobs outside of Waco and I am pretty sure I could not afford her fees or for that matter an old mansion!

      I too hope that whomever the new owners are, they do a restoration faithful to its time period and history and that they invite me to photograph and feature it on my blog. One can always dream can't we?

      Delete
  6. I would say that it sure does have potential, but for someone a lot younger than I am who can do the work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have to agree with you Dizzy in all three counts.

      Delete
  7. I think we should get jobs as medeorologists what do you think? and we can be wrong and never lose our jobs.
    The outside looks rough but the interior is not to bad, a little updating, painting, cleaning and I think she will shine. The outside may take some work and most of the money.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being a meteorologist is the only job I can think of where you can be wrong and never lose your job!

    I do not think I would be brave enough to tackle that kind of a remodel even if I had the funds which I obviously do not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes 2 of us on the remodel funds haha

      Delete
    2. To your credit you have a handy grandson that has building skills and knows how to fix things.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.