Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Friday, May 24, 2019

Sirloin Stockade / Volkswagen Beetle Convertible

Yesterday I ran a lot of errands and then realized that the Golden State Warriors vs Toronto Raptors Game 5 was going to be played Thursday and not Friday as I erroneously thought so I raced home to watch it.  I was so hungry but there is something wrong with the cable box or my TV ( I do not know which or perhaps both) so I am unable to watch television in the kitchen and had to do so from my room.

Had to make another trip to town today so decided to stop at Sirloin Stockade as it has been years since I had been there and though it was lunchtime, I had not eaten since yesterday.  I had never been to their lunch buffet before. Was told Friday was seafood day. My first plate was more breakfast like as I enjoy that meal but not being a morning person I do not get to delight in it very often.


 My second plate was baked tilapia, rice, and broccoli. Ok, no food shaming me!


Headed to Walmart to walk off my meal and pick up a couple of items before the Memorial Day masses descend on Del Rio.  I saw this nice Volkswagen Beetle Convertible in the parking lot...for some reason, I thought they had quit building them or perhaps they just quit building them in Puebla, Mexico?


Car was bought in San Antonio

Murphy Oil at Walmart had the cheapest gasoline in town at $2.389 per gallon. This is the gasoline station that reader Andy V. gave us a heads up that gives a  .05 cent discount if you use their credit card.


I was lucky because as soon as I finished gassing up all these vehicles came out of nowhere and invaded the station.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

17 comments:

  1. I eat breakfast when ever I feel like it and that could be dinner timeLOL. You are paying so much less for gas we are at $2.81 and some $2.90.
    I keep forgetting to tell you how much I like your header pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The difference is that you know how to cook. Only Jack in the Box and McDonald's serve breakfast all day but they are way on the northern part of the county and we live in the southern tip.

      I envy the prices Andy pays in San Antonio. I have never understood how they pay less while in Houston where it is actually refined (Pasadena and Deer Park, Tx) the price is higher.

      Glad you enjoy my header pics.

      Delete
  2. That is the new beetle which has very little in common with the older beetles we grew up with. There is a restored VW Thing running around here if you remember them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I certainly remember them Barney. In particular living along the border it seemed like every other car in Mexico was a beetle. Beetles were made in Puebla, Mexico and were affordable so it opened up the market for families that would not otherwise be able to buy a new automobile to own one.

      Delete
  3. Like Barney said that is the NEW beetle the only thing similar to the old ones is the shape and VW signage. Not like the fun ones from years ago. Your Buffet lunch looked very tasty. And little Tabasco to give it a kick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first thing that caught my eye was how beautiful it was. I was under the impression that production had ceased on all beetle models...guess I was wrong!

      The buffet was quite tasty in particular since I had not eaten in over 24 hours and indeed the Tabasco took it to another level.

      Delete
  4. I'm a VW guy from way back... well I bought my first VW (a '59 bus) in '72. I guess '72 can be called way back now.... I've never ridden in the new bug, I'd like to. I had a jetta with a sun roof & that was a fine commute car.
    The old bugs (and most of the aircooled engines) took regular maintenance, you had to adjust the valves every 3,000 miles. New cars take almost zip compared to that.
    I saw gas @ $2.50 the day before yesterday! It had been awhile since I saw that cheap.
    Have a safe weekend Ms Belinda and everyone else out in blog land!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How neat that you were able to own a '59 bus, did you ever use it to go camping?

      When the Beetles were revamped back in the late 90's I went to test drive one at a Houston dealership. They could not keep them in inventory and you had to get on a waiting list. The one I test drove was a cherry red that a guy in Oklahoma City had bought as a surprise birthday present for his wife.

      May you and yours have a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day weekend as well.

      Delete
  5. I filled up Wed thinking price would go up holiday weekend. Paid 2.17 (2.22) but yesterday price was 1.97 (2.02)! Oh well.

    I had 2 bugs myself - a 70 and a 72 convertible. Rob is right about maintenance and I put 3 engines in the 70.

    My best Bud had a 68 bus - talk about fun times!

    Stay safe all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the buses but I am a huge fan of the modern just drive it & change the oil engines!

      Delete
    2. Wow Andy, I did not know so many bloggers had owned VW vehicles in the past.

      Being that I usually drove to Del Rio during long holiday weekends I know that prices go down at the Walmart gasoline stations and since they are the benchmark for other stations the consumer wins.

      I can not believe that you are paying less than $2.00 for gas in the Alamo City...you are so lucky!

      Delete
  6. Way back in the early 1950's, my wife to be had an uncle that bought one on a vacation to Europe and had it shipped back. My Dad bought it and drove it for many years. Those were the ones with a little rear window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not remember the one with the little window but due to the magic of Google just saw a picture of it and it had two little windows.

      Delete
  7. I never owned a VW, but drove a Chevy Corvair with the air cooled engine in the back. Loved that car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One learns something new everyday...here I thought that only VW had air cooled engines in the back.

      Delete
  8. The amazing conversion back in the day was to put a 6 cylinder air cooled Corvair engine into a bug. You could pass a Stingray with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to take your word for it Hachita as my knowledge of automobiles is limited.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.