Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, August 18, 2019

A day off

Yesterday I got an early start to beat the heat and went by the post office to pick up our mail.  I am waiting on some correspondence but mail is not finished being sorted until 11:00 a.m. and I was not going to stick around till then.

Saturdays are usually very busy in Del Rio as people from Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila come to shop and contribute to our economy.  Gasoline has gone down to $2.319 per gallon for unleaded regular or $2.289 if you have a Stripes credit card.

Considered filling up but our Mexican friends beat me to it since our gasoline is much cheaper and better quality than theirs.  Not my statement but El Zocalo their award-winning Ciudad Acuña newspaper.  As you know this girl avoids lines at all cost, I already paid my dues when I lived in Houston, Texas.

This morning after my walk headed back to the post office but alas no mail so I was glad I did not wait yesterday for something that never came.

Today took a much needed day off.  Caught up with my e-mails so if you sent me one I finally answered yours today.  Talked to my friends and commiserated about this awful heat.

Our high today was 105 with a low of 78 and a heat index level of 107 degrees.

I forgot to mention this the other day when they celebrated the birthday of the creator of Nachos.  Do you know he was born in Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila?  I had no idea and that he invented them when he worked at a restaurant in Piedras Negras, Coahuila across the border from Eagle Pass, Texas.  It is seldom that this area has any sort of claim to fame so glad to highlight it.


So many varieties


Nachos Supreme...


A short biography of Ignacio (Nacho) Anaya the creator of this snack.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nachos

Hope you had a great day and that you too got to take a day off.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.



8 comments:

  1. The creator of Nachos? Nachos are good, that's worth having a festival over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually there is an annual festival in Piedras Negras, Coahuila between October 13th to October 15th.

      In the United States, National Nacho Day is celebrated on November 6th.

      Delete
  2. You should take a day off after all the running around you've been doing. Hope you enjoyed yourself. They had a little place around the corner from me that made the best Nacho Supreme, I was gone for a few months camping and when I got back they were gone I was so sad. Did a little cooking and will do some tomorrow. Stay cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure enjoyed my day off because this morning I had a lot of morning errands to attend to. Too bad your little corner nacho place closed up.

      Cooking even if I knew how is out of the question with this heat considering the kitchen was a later addition and not well insulated.

      Delete
  3. Interesting Nacho history. Wikipedia info was enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Wikipedia information is wrong as far as his place of birth but they had it right last week...silly webpage. Two San Antonio TV stations and El Zocalo newspaper confirmed he was born in Ciudad Acuña.

      Delete
  4. Just wanted to say how much I like your background photo of the Creek..is that the one that flows from the spring?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frann! Yes, the creek is fed by San Felipe Springs and it is on the cooler side which makes it feel heavenly in these infernal West Texas temperatures.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.