Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Monday, August 5, 2019

Headache / Dairy Queen / Dilapidated Trailers

After all, I accomplished last Wednesday I was pretty much beat for days. Thursday I had a terrible headache.  All my life I have suffered from them but they miraculously went away when I quit working.  I have no idea what brought this one on.

Friday I had to run errands in town.  I do not know if you recall that a year ago on the 4th of July another neighbor's house burnt down due to fireworks. The next day the County came with heavy machinery and helped the owners knock it down.

I kept on hearing heavy machinery both Thursday and Friday but when I drove by there it was Pollito knocking down two old dilapidated trailers that had been vacant for years.  Nice to see Val Verde County finally doing something about all these abandoned eyesores.

Swung by Crown Recycling (where they pay you) for your aluminum cans. Made $5.25 which is better than nothing.  Then went by the City of Del Rio Recycling Center to take my plastics, metals, cardboard and paper products.

It was so darn hot but I still needed to go make copies and since the local library is the cheapest place to make them at .10 cents a copy headed that way.  As soon as I walked inside it was like I had walked into heaven!  It was so nice and cool I could not bring myself to go back into the heat.  So settled in one of their comfy chairs and read the newspaper.

It was was 4:00 p.m. and I had not eaten all day so decided to reward myself and headed to Dairy Queen.  For some reason, Texas Dairy Queen does not honor the national specials we see in television commercials.  I wanted the hamburger/fries/drink with a free small sundae special for $6.00 but had to pay $7.99 for it.


I do not know why like Whataburger, Dairy Queen in Del Rio is hit and miss.  If you are going to cheat you want to make it worth your while otherwise I will just settle for my daily salad.  The fries were cold and did not taste fresh (it is a good thing I share them with the cats). The hamburger bun was cold and the meat tasteless.


The only tasty thing was the sundae.  I won't be coming back anytime soon.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

8 comments:

  1. The headaches could be that you are not drinking enough water. Carry a thermos or water bottle around with you all day, drink from it as often as you can, and refill it when you need to. If you, like me, enjoy a beer in the afternoon, drink extra water as alcohol is dehydrating, even a small amount of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The headache was only on Thursday the day after my busy day. I did not do anything that day only went outside twice to feed my boys and to change their water because it reached 103 degrees.

      I always drink a lot of water during the day whether at home or if I go run errands in particular in this heat. I have an ice chest in my car that is a permanent fixture and that I ice down with frozen water bottles that I can also drink in case of an emergency though I carry a large Stripes container that I can fill up with ice and unsweeten tea or water for .99 cents.

      I would love nothing more than to enjoy an afternoon beer like I do when I am in Terlingua (actually that is an all day party and the time of day does not matter) but in the default world I can only partake in a cold beer after midnight.

      Delete
    2. That busy day fooled your body into thinking it was back at work!

      Delete
    3. You may have a point there Rob.

      Delete
  2. The headache could be from allergies.
    All the Dairy Queens across the US and Canada have different pricing.
    I Only drink Four Beers a year and have already reached my limit.
    Be Safe and Enjoy staying cool.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had headaches since I was seven years old but it wasn't until I was a young adult and had good insurance that the doctors told me it was due to allergies.

      They took away all the things they thought were affecting me to no avail. Only after I quit working did they go away without me having to make any changes in my lifestyle.

      Delete
  3. Gypsy was right about water but that doesn't look like the culprit. I applaud you for your water intake and unsweetened tea also. There are so many things that could cause your headaches that it could come from almost anywhere.

    That ice cream looks great! Haven't had any since March but before I cut myself off I was eating 2 qts a week of homemade that I made myself. Between cutting out that and potato chips I've lost over 20 lbs. Now if I would just cut out the beer........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not too worried about the headache as it was only a one day event and I can not even remember the last time I had one. Back when I was a child and later an adult I had one at least twice a week.

      They were so bad even my boss who was an AH could tell I was undergoing one just by looking at me and would leave me alone.

      I commend you for cutting homemade ice cream and potato chips from your diet but most of all for losing 20 lbs. Why is it that men lose weight easier than women? It is just not fair :-(

      You could always trade beer for wine? Though I prefer the latter.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.