Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, September 22, 2019

If you could live anywhere in the world...where would that be?

If you could live anywhere in the world...where would that be?

I was watching a show that posed this question to their viewers.  I always felt I had the answer but this week it left me in a quandary.  When did my views change and why was I not aware of it until this moment in time?

I suppose it had a lot to do with hurricane Dorian and tropical storm Imelda.  You see, I have NEVER liked the beach, while there are beautiful places year around in the Carribean as well as the Mayan Riviera my respect for Mother Nature and fear of her wrath has been solidified this past couple of weeks.

I have several friends and acquaintances that have gone through not one but MULTIPLE tropical storms, hurricanes, had their lives turned upside down after being flooded yet choose to remain in their homes.  Maybe I am hardheaded but I just do not understand that rationale.

Then I go back to what I would have replied as far back as a few weeks ago...Terlingua, Texas...of course!  Though the thought of having to put up with the brutal desert summers even with air conditioning is no longer appealing to me. To be fair it never has been as I would have to be totally out of mind to even consider that option. The desert is a place that calls out to me but only in the winter months.

So that leaves me to where I would spend the rest of the year?  Have NO idea but it certainly would not be Houston or Del Rio.  Then again do I have a choice?

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.



Saying of the Day


14 comments:

  1. There is a lot to be said for having a house with wheels and being able to move with the seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true. I once thought I could make a go of it was even going to buy a friend's older but well taken care of RV. Then my mother said "that is your dream not mine...count me out".

      Delete
  2. Rob has the perfect answer and that has been our solution since 2006 works perfect. An amazing lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing indeed!

      These past twelve years I have followed the blogs of many full-timers as well as part-timers. Have witnessed so many situations that have happened to them that had it been me I do not know how I would have been able to tackle them.

      Even bloggers that do not have big RV's just smaller trailers. Towing scares me. Had a friend that bought one for the exclusive purpose of camping in Terlingua. She was a tough gal that worked in the oil fields and drove big trucks. She white-knuckled it to the cook-off arriving in a rather frightening state after towing her new trailer through the hills of Alpine as it swayed back and forth.

      I do not like to travel I am more of a stay in one place kind of gal.

      Delete
  3. Here's the plan:
    1.sell Houston house
    2. Buy a tract in T-ranch
    3. Pay TFL Construction to build you a cabin in T-Ranch.
    4. Travel back and forth as needed.
    5. Enjoy the beautiful desert!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good plan...but travel back and forth from where? I have no idea what other location I would want to call home.

      Delete
    2. "Home" is where you hang your hat ... Del Rio? Houston?
      A few years back I met a couple who had a home in Illinois near their kids and a travel trailer on a year round leased spot in Rockport Texas. The Texas place was their "Winter home".

      Delete
    3. Rob, I no longer want to live in either Del Rio or Houston. I always liked Castroville, Texas before I discovered Terlingua but I can no longer afford to buy a property there as prices have gone through the roof and I have no alternative city to call home.

      Delete
  4. I am quite satisfied here on my little bit of Texas. Don't have a big spread, just a little under 12 acres, but with the woods, swamp, and ponds, it is perfect for me and I can't see my neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have lived in several states, and also in Europe (Ireland) for a few years. I liked Asheville, NC the best, but my kids were all elsewhere. Now I'm in CA and while I wasn't crazy about living here for the first few years, I've settled down and can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps when you have family ties to make that decision for you as in your case.

      Delete
  6. For a few years I had a place in the mountains and I absolutely loved it but expence of 2 places was to much. I hate living here in the summer. Like you I hate towing anything and if I had a MH then I would need a car to tow. So I guess I'm stuck here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JO, I had no idea you had already had a place in the mountains. I guess I joined your blog after that. I just thought you went camping there like I do when I go to Terlingua.

      Houston is too close to the Gulf. With climate change, hurricanes and tropical storms are becoming more severe and happening more often. Even with a few inches of rain because of its flat terrain it floods.

      Del Rio is way too hot for me and I can not stand the neighbors! Even though it appears the wife and kids did leave the drunk. He left his parents home on Friday and has not been back since. Word on the grapevine is she gave him an ultimatum...get a job and our own place...or me and the kids are going to live with my parents (they live three hours away).

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.