Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, September 14, 2019

Lots of things going on

This week we have had several appointments along with having run multiple errands. Evidently, I am either in the worst shape of my life or old age is getting to me.  If I have to go anywhere I pay for it the following day.

As you know I have a long-running relationship with insomnia but this week it has not been a problem.  I do not know if it was due to the fact that I was tired or credit Lovastatin (cholesterol lowing medication) that I have to take before bedtime. I hate taking Statins and have avoided doing so though I requested to be put back on them after my prior lab's results. My most recent labs ratted me out so I got back on them. Whichever one I need to credit, the good thing is that I have been going to sleep early.  Usually during the 10:00 p.m. news and/or definitively before eleven o'clock.

The only problem is that I am wide awake by 5:00 a.m. or earlier. This past Wednesday I heard an unfamiliar sound around that time...could it be? Went to the front door and confirmed that we were having a rain shower.

All the towns around us have been the recipients of generous rains but southern Val Verde County has been overlooked. A lot of the trees are losing their foliage, not due to the approach of Autumn but the fact that we are in a drought. In this area, leaves remain in the trees until December and last year two of our trees never even lost theirs.

I went to the library the other day to make copies, read the newspaper and enjoy their super cold A/C. I had forgotten that it has been 50 years since Amistad Dam was inaugurated.  President Nixon and Mexican President Diaz Ordaz along with their respective wives were here to mark the occasion.


I read on the Mexican newspaper El Zocalo that Del Rio would be hosting the First Triathalon in its history this morning.  It is called "First Annual Adventure on the Creek".  It sounds like a lot of fun maybe I will go next year.


This weekend there will be a parade and many activities to commemorate Mexican Independence Day which is celebrated on September 16th both in Ciudad Acuña as well as in Del Rio.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


12 comments:

  1. I generally don't sleep more than 6 hours a nite, I try to stay up until midnight or 1am.

    My sil is from Mexico, they are going to an Independence Day Celebration tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has not been until this week that I am actually sleeping five to six hours a night and only walking up once or twice versus every hour.

      I likewise have enjoyed going to bed early even though I have not been able to go online and today spent hours catching up with my e-mails.

      Hope your brother and SIL enjoy the Mexican Independence Day Celebrations. Wish I could attend to listen to the bands and enjoy the wonderful food but I have poor night vision so I will enjoy it on the television instead with live feeds from Mexico City.

      Delete
  2. I'm the same way about going to bed earlier and then getting up early. I love the mornings, though, and just take my time getting started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am surprise to report that I am actually enjoying the mornings since I have never been a morning person.

      As soon as there is sufficient light which now is around 7:20 a.m. I go for my morning walk and love to get that out of the way while it is still relatively "cool".

      After my walk I am all pumped up and wide awake so I go into town and get my errands out of the way before noon thus avoiding the hellish afternoon temperatures.

      Delete
  3. Melatonin is a natural ingredient that helps you sleep. It is not habit forming and just helps you to relax and get a better night's sleep.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the cooler temperatures.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melatonin is a hormone and can have side effects on people with high blood pressure such as myself. It is not recommended to be used for more than two years.

      I took it a very long time ago and when I told my doctor he advised me that in my particular instance I should stay away from it.

      I also suffered side effects from it in particular wanting to go to sleep during the daytime which would not be bad now but at the time I was working.

      Delete
  4. I'm taking the same stantin as you are never gave it a thought about making me sleep better. I don't mind getting up early but not to early but if the dog has to go out I get up but now that it is staying dark longer he gets up later, I love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think medications affect each of us differently. I had not taken Statins in a while and I do not recall the former ones making me sleepy.

      For some reason Lovastatin makes my eyes heavy and induces me to sleep shortly after taking it.

      Delete
  5. You might try some hemp oil. A squirt from a dropper under the tongue right before bed makes me sleep like a baby. Used to get it on Amazon, but they stopped selling it. But EBay has lotsa choices for hemp oil, some at low cost. It's good for topical treatment on my knee pain too. FYI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After your comment I started to read up on hemp oil but it did not mention making a person sleepy. With my luck I would get a bad batch and end up dead. As a topical treatment I would not mind trying it.

      Delete
  6. You could be busy. That sounds like my sleep routine, in bed no later than 10 and up at 5 am or sooner always nice and refreshed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You came to mind the other morning when I was wide awake at 4:30 a.m. and said to myself "who would be up at this hour?"...Oh yeah...George probably is :-)

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.