Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Monday, October 21, 2019

Oil change / Tire Rotation / Tarps / Butane Canisters

Another sleepless night got a little less than three hours.  I really need to buy a storage shed before next year's cook-off.  I need a dedicated space for my camping gear as well as my multiple boxes that I have no idea what is in them.

I tried to call our local Toyota dealership all weekend but I kept on getting a mailbox that was full.  I called them first thing this morning and was able to schedule an oil change as well as a tire rotation. I had not been here since they finished their remodeling.  From afar admired this 2020 Toyota Sequoia,  could not help but think what a great camping vehicle it would make :-(


Headed to Home Depot to purchase light bulbs for my room and to check out the prices for tarps and butane fluid for the camping stove I am "considering" buying.



The first thing that greeted me was the Christmas decorations...come on folks it's October we have not celebrated Halloween, Día de los Muertos, or Thanksgiving yet....grrrrrrrrr!!!


Lightbulbs were pricey but I like the Daylight curly ones and that is the only thing I purchased here.



Perhaps due to the fact that it has been a while since I purchased tarps, I found them to be expensive in particular the heavy-duty ones that I prefer. Even the medium-duty ones were higher than I was willing to spend.


 Found the Butane that I was looking for but the first thing that caught my eye was the warning "Extreme Danger".  Left without the tarps or butane canisters.
 

Walmart is across the street from Home Depot.  Again in comparison to Harbor Freight, I found their prices to be high even the medium-duty ones.



Today they did have Butane in stock. By the way, the correct price is $4.97 each just like at Home Depot.



I have considered purchasing a better-insulated ice chest but apart from also being at the top of my budget, they weigh too much even when empty and they have bad reviews with regards to the top warping.  If only I did not have to drive 60 miles to Eagle Pass where the closest Academy is located :-(


This new Natural Light product caught my eye...


Has anyone tried either one?



Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.



Camping Saying of the Day




12 comments:

  1. Harbor Freight online delivers most orders to your door for $6.95. But you're probably out of time for your trip west.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not want to pay for shipping and handling Bigfoot was hoping the store would open before my departure.

    I think I will just use beer cartons and cardboard boxes as I have in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. $5 for 4 cans of butane seems about right (as I recall) & any compressed flammable gas ought to carry a warning but those stoves do work well.

    I have a list of things on my phone that I need to look at the next time I pass by a Harbor Freight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, now you are making me wonder...I thought it was per canister and they had failed to remove the wrapping because each can was going for $4.97 at Home Depot.

      Delete
  4. Good luck with getting all your stuff together fr camping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had not heard of the Natural Light products. Is it beer?
    I agree the Christmas decorations are out too soon. Every year, it's earlier.
    About the vans..I was thinking of the Uhaul vans. Saw one the other day that said $19.95 per day. Cargo vans, not passenger. I don't know if they are available in your area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natural Light is a beer I discovered a long time ago in Terlingua. It is one of the more affordable beers they sell in Texas but you would never know it by tasting it. While Coors Light will always be my favorite Natural Light comes in second.

      I have no idea what they mean by "Zelster" that is why I was inquiring what it tastes like...is it beer or a mixture of beer and something else.

      I do not know if they rent U-haul vans in this area have only seen full size moving vans at Home Depot for rent. Though come to think of it I have seen those $19.95 per day trucks and vans but in Houston. We basically have nothing here.

      Delete
  6. Rob is correct on the price of the butane. I didn't know you were looking for such large tarps. I don't supose you have a BigLot's? Do you pass any other stores on your way that maybe you can get a cheaper tarp.
    As for the cooler I'm going to buy some insulation and just add it to the inside of the cooler.
    And yes I'm at home camping was a big fail again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you and Rob are correct then a butane stove would be worthwhile buying. Wonder why butane is so expensive at Home Depot?

      We are the biggest town heading west to Alpine. We do not have a Big Lots...the closest one is in San Antonio three hours away.

      Oh no JO...sorry to hear your camping trip did not go well. I went to your blog to see what happened but you had not written one yet.

      Delete
  7. I have a 1 burner butane stove that works so well. I bought a large batch of cannisters from an oriental market nearby and they were dirt cheap. The cannisters are smaller than the one you pictured, but I'm sure they were just about $1 each.

    Once I started drinking craft beers and ales I could never go back to "lights". Like drinking water to me. We have some great craft beers locally.

    I think you and I must be on the same wavelength. I lusted over a Sequoia that I saw last week. If I could only drive again I think that would be my choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I barely just heard of butane as I was researching camping stoves. Though to be honest I am afraid of anything flammable perhaps that is one of the reasons I did not become a smoker...thank goodness...my fear of having to lite anything up.

      I have tasted very few craft beers in my time. The few that I have tried were not of my liking and too expensive to buy in comparison to what I usually drink.

      I am not surprised you also lusted over a Sequoia as we tend to have a lot in common for two strangers that have never met though I feel like I have known you and other bloggers for a long time.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.