Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, October 20, 2019

Rotted trees / Another record setting day

About two years ago I had to have the trees in the front yard, as well as one tree in the backyard, pruned.  One of the men that climbed the tree was bitten by ants at the time I remember he told me that I needed to do something to control the ants or they were going to rot the trees.

Remember going on-line and researching why trees rot and none mentioned it was due to ants.  This year I have noticed how easily the branches are breaking with the slightest wind.


These other two by the fenceline besides having tree rot are in need of water but I do not want to get too near them in particular on a windy day like today.  They used to be so lush and full that Walter (the neighbor's horse) would go to sleep under their shade when he was grazing on our property.



The only reason I bring it up is that I used to set up my tents under their shade to clean them before and after my camping trips.  I do not think I could safely do it now.

When Pollito's wino sidekick came to mow he failed to mow to the fence line so even if I ignored the trees there is no way I can ignore the high weeds to set up my tent. When am I going to find a good yardman?  We have had multiple ones and they are all worthless!


I can not find my tarps and I do not think the new Harbor Freight in Del Rio is going to open up before I go to Terlingua.  I suppose I could ask my friends to purchase some for me in Houston but I am going to arrive before them.  They met some people last year whom they have kept in touch and they are already there!  As a matter of fact, they have been there since this past Thursday and they are not alone!

It seems people are arriving earlier every year to secure their camping spot.  It is times like this that I wish I was able to rent an RV but we don't have any rental centers in Del Rio.  I would have to go to San Antonio or Odessa and incur more mileage :-(

The only thing I got done today was laundry and washing the dishes I hide from myself in my ice chest to keep from looking at them...I know I'm weird!

It was HOT today and we ended breaking yet another record set in 1979 of 95 degrees.  We had a low of 65 a high of 96 with a heat index of 99 degrees.  Tomorrow our high is expected to only reach 86 degrees.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Saying of the Day



12 comments:

  1. Good luck with getting your traps you get out camping and have fun. We had hoped to travel that way way through Terlingua this fall but alas it was not meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Suzie would have loved the scenery since I know you guys enjoy the desert southwest. There are few people during the year but it explodes population-wise during the two Chili Cook-offs that are annually held there.

      Delete
  2. Walmart and Home Depot sell tarps. You have both in Del Rio I think. They are reasonably priced. I bought most of mine from Ebay but found a large one at Academy. However it didn't last any longer without getting small tears and holes than the thinner ones with those coastal winds I camp in. The coupon $2.99 one from HF ripped first trip. I can still use it but not for rain protection. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have both stores. I went to check them out and I suppose it has been a long time since I last purchased one I thought they were rather high in comparison to the prices at Harbor Freight.

      Wish we had an Academy but the closest one is in Eagle Pass 60 miles south of here.

      Delete
  3. That is too sad about your trees. I hope they don't pose a threat to your house.
    I buy my tarps from the farm and ranch supply. They have many different kinds and have always been a good price considering the quality. I bought a couple of cheap ones in the past that didn't hold up for one winter. My good ones still are fine four years later.
    I wonder if renting a van is possible for your trip?
    Wow they are setting up early in Terlingua. I would bet a lot has changed in just two years. If you decide to go, I do hope luck is with you for a good spot, near friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had mentioned the farm and ranch supply stores on a prior post when I was looking for butane for camping stoves. We only have two but I have not had a chance to go check out their prices since today I was running errands in the north part of town.

      Back in 2013 or 2014, the auto shop had to rent me a car because mine was not ready when promised. While picking up the rental car at the local Hertz I spotted a van and out of curiosity inquired how much it rented for I was shocked to learn it went for $190.00 per day and that it was usually rented out to church groups.

      That is a little too high for my budget and it had several rows of car seats...not something I would want.

      You are right in two years a lot has changed there has been a population explosion and many people building vacation homes or purchasing pre-built Derksen cabins. I wish they would bring more grocery stores to Study Butte and surrounding areas.

      Thank you for your good wishes.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Dizzy. I thought it appropriate since I hope to go camping and may ultimately just stay at my best friend's camper.

      Delete
  5. Like Andy V said just go to Walmart they have really good prices and all sizes and weights. I'm pulling out tomorrow finally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was there today JO and I find them to be expensive but may just have to break down and purchase them there.

      I hope you have a wonderful camping trip as I know you have been looking forward to it for a long while.

      Delete
  6. What kind of trees are those? Lots of trees around here are stressed and losing leaves because of the long hot summer....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JudithK.!

      Apart from knowing they are shade trees...I do not know their formal names.

      We have the same situation here lots of stressed trees who normally shed their leaves in December or January at the latest...sad to see them anguish.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.