Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Back from the 2019 Terlingua CASI Chili Cook-off

Hi bloggers...I am back from Terlingua but I am practically dead
 
Few people at Krazy Flats early on.

Had hot followed by cold weather and fierce winds during my nine-day stay at my favorite desert!

My first and last night's tent that turned out being
my only tent this year.

While I had not been in attendance during the past two years the prior two I had to break down my trip into two parts and this year was not the exception. 

The first structure to go up was my shower tent.

Ever since 2010 that I first took my sedan to the Chili Cook-off  I have thrown my back out and this year was no different.  I think I might be getting too old for this!

The camp behind me. They came early to bring
their trailer and secured a big piece of real estate.

I have had the same cell phone for four or five years and it has always worked at the cook-off...not so this year. To make matters worse the camera kept on having hissy fits and would not work reliably. Even though I took a lot of pictures the quality was not ideal.

My prime piece of real estate looking out towards
Krazy Flats.

Give me a couple of days so I can go through them.


They have quit mowing my favorite spot and
allowed the native grass to take over.


Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


10 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to make a return trip to Terlingua!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very glad to be able to return once more to my favorite desert Bigfoot...it just feels like home!

      Delete
  2. I like the header picture of your camp! Does your back thing have to do with your van being broken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the header picture as well Rob probably one of the few in which the camera of the cellphone decided to cooperate with me.

      While having one dedicated vehicle such as my now broken van used to help immensely because I could pack things ahead of time and not have to arrange and re-arrange it to make things fit and in such a small time frame I avoided stressing my back.

      The fact that it was a full-size van and I could keep my camping gear in one place year-around was useful and prevented the chaos of having to go from box to box looking for my camping stuff.

      I suppose one could argue that I could do the same now but I have missed the past two cook-offs and car camped the prior two. After four years I have managed to cram even more stuff in the van that is not camping related and that I would have to also get down.

      Maybe next year I will have dad's old car fixed so I can have another vehicle to get around in pre-Chili cook-off.

      Delete
    2. That's good - you are already making plans for next year.

      Delete
    3. Actually Gypsy, I really do need to fix at least one of the three dead cars...dad's old car, mom's mini-van, or my camping van.

      It is always a good idea to have an extra working car on hand just in case. So far I have been lucky and my present car has not left me stranded but it is ten years old.

      Delete
  3. Im so happy you made it this year but sorry about your back. Rest up. I have had to cancel 2 more camping trips due to weather. If I had purchased the clam I could have gone but the money just seems to high. I wish I had a van then I wouldn't need another added piece of camping gear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry to hear that you had to once again cancel two more camping trips. I know you have wanted to go for a long time. Those "clams" sure are nice though like you mention pricey.

      I am still having back pain but was finally able to get everything down from my car.

      Delete
  4. So glad you went and survived and enjoyed. Hope your back keeps getting better and better. I look forward to more photos - even if of not "ideal" quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your good wishes JudithK...now my right leg and knee seem to have developed "an issue"...jajajaja, I am totally falling apart!

      Pictures coming soon.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.